1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dealing with clients

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Waterfowl Inc, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Waterfowl Inc

Waterfowl Inc New Member

Although all taxidermist have different skill levels, I believe most are ethical and have a genuine concern about doing a good job. Finding time to organize and skin birds, toiling over greasy bird fat, meticulously washing them, building them, constantly studying and learning about your subjects, grooming them - grooming them - grooming them and then the all dreaded finish work. Only to have a client show up, put there measly $200 on the table and say the bird looks "nice". Well, being new to this taxidermy racket, but not new to running a business, it affects me. I understand that the customer is always right, I am not a thinned skinned person and I have been kicked around alot in business, so why when this happens do I want to politely hand them back their $200 take that "nice" bird and shove it up their bung hole, politely bounce a couple frozen birds off their heads and bid them a fine fairwell. Maybe there is an evolution that takes place, where a person doesn't care as much - Anybody ever been in the same boat? How do you handle it?

2. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

What's the big deal. They didn't say they looked like crap? :)

3. I read this post over in the fish section and wanted to come here and respond. It sounds like you have an ego that needs to be satisfied. I read this and literally started to laugh. What would have happened if he just said it looked ok or didn't say anything at all. When one of my customers says nice fish, my reply is thank you. They don't have to blow smoke up my butt. Sounds like you should get out of the taxidermy business. ???

I can't believe you even thought that let alone posted it.

You really should think about getting out of taxidermy if that is the way you feel.

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

From your post you might feel the need to have a "TIP" jar too..... ;D

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

your supposed to be the professional taxidermist as long as customer pays your "asking" price...you got nothing to complain about.........if his "measely" 200 bucks is not enuf then raise your price

6. wingman

wingman Active Member

All the above replies are valid I guess. I have "dealt" many times with clients and there is NO figuring them out. The birds that you depict to be really nice customers will say nothing about and a bird that you are not your proudest of they rant and rave over....Go figure! I recently completed a Harlequin Case piece and was pleased with it, The client said "looks nice" and that was it. Of course he paid me well for the work but compliments do "feel good" when deserved. Take them when ya get them and the other times put the cash in your pocket and be happy!.

7. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Had a guy pick up two ruffs all he said was "I'm cool with them" I was sorta bummed a week later he brought 2 mallards over and a Friend of his brought over a pheasant i guess he was "cool with them " you just never know about what they think .

8. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Don't fall in love with the mount. And, if $200.00 makes you unhappy when the customer walks away pleased, then raise the price; heck double it.