1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Torching a form

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by brigham boy, Apr 7, 2012.

1. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Is torching a form an affective way of prepping the manikin surface?

I just use my stout ruffer but torching them sounds really quick

Penny for your thoughts

2. To me the risk of the fumes put off by burning isn't worth the time saved

3. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I seen a video where it was done this way. It was still sanded after being torched also. I've never tried it myself. I just use a coarse piece of sand paper. It's a little rough on the arms after a while though, lol.

4. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    The fumes will kill you. I really mean kill you.

5. brigham boy

utah
    I would do it outside wearing a respirator ..just wondered how it worked.

6. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Not recommended.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Toxic noxious fumes,,, yea,, go ahead.

8. brigham boy

utah
    I'll just stick to my stout.. I was inquiring more on its effectiveness.

Toxic fumes no problem if you take the right precautions.

9. deathwind

deathwind New Member

I've been doing this for years and it works very well. I torch them outside and it's easy to see which way the wind is blowing and just stand down wind. I always have a leaf blower running in one hand while using a torch in the other, because the foam will burn and the leaf blower will put it right out. I learned this procedure years ago while at one of the Buckeye Manikin seminars. Don't do this indoors because there are a lot of fumes that come off of the forms. I agree with you, that with proper precautions, this takes a lot of work out prepping a form. An average deer form takes two to three minutes.

10. Isn't up wind better then standing down wind of the fumes ?

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Rule 1: Always stand upwind of farts and fumes.

12. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

evidently he HAS burned some forms...... LOL

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

All things change from "years ago". Even the foam and if I have to have a leaf blower and a weedeater, it should tell you you're playing with your ass. Prepping a form is fine in a climate controlled shop where I don't need any of that. The Stout Ruffer is overkill as well. Rick Carter introduced me to the WASCO Form Scratcher years ago and they are superb. You don't lose any detail with a Scratcher like you do with a Ruffer. I use the Ruffers for form alterations where I need to move foam.

14. deathwind

deathwind New Member

My bad!!! LOL I didn't catch the down wind remark and I reread what I wrote several times. I still stand by what I wrote about torching forms (other than standing down wind) . If you don't want to do it, don't.

15. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

Torching is a no-no for health reasons. Besides by the time you drag all that outside, get your leaf blower and torch ready you could have had it done with a ruffing tool inside.
    I will admit I use a sand blaster from TSC on some lifesize mannikins and have used it on shoulder mount mannikins also and it works fine. But I dont like dragging it out for one deer head mannikin, so I usually use a stout ruffer. But if I have a bunch of capes ready, I will use the sand blaster on them. So it just depends on how much I am looking to do at any given time. But I would NOT burn or torch them, not even outside.

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

You could media blast it with a special airbrush if you want to get really finicky.

17. Matt

Matt New Member

Well, you asked for thoughts on this and as for mine, I wouldn't do it. It literally takes a few minutes with a scratcher and you are done, and with no health issues afterwards.

18. brigham boy

utah
    Thanks for all the input fellas. I don't even have a torch I was just curious. I will look into that tool George that sounds great thanks.

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Scratching a deer mannikin takes less than 5 minutes with the tool George is referring to. I do this while waiting on bondo to kick in the ears....multitasking at its best!

20. If you have alot of forms to prep you can get a local kid and pull a Miagi on him. Show me, scratch the form.