1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question from a newbie....

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bigbucklover69, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Bigbucklover69

Bigbucklover69 New Member

What wld be the first tool i shld start looking for as a newbie? I wanna do just deer shoulder mounts...I live in ny if that makes a difference..I wanna start getting things slowly as i know its a exspensive task to get the right tools..Any help wld be great,, thank you..

2. rick carter's a-z whitetail instructional dvd.
    You can learn a lot and he talks about the tools he uses.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Not one but three tools are a must for me any way. Mounting stand, cordless drill / screwdriver, fleshing machine. Oh, and about a hundred others.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

I agree on some good DVD's, they will help you decide which tools are a good start. There are some that are a must, but you will always find more!(LOL)

5. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

Lots of tools are a must, lol. I found that out real quick, and I've only done three mounts! A lot of stuff you can find at home depot, and a craft store such as hobby lobby. I've been gathering up stuff as I go over the last several months, and have quite the arsenal, lol.

6. I have found that there are a LOT of little tools that can be pretty damn valuable.

A mounting stand is obviously a good investment, but you can also have one made that will 'work' for you if you're looking to save money, or rig something up on a work bench or off a wall.

A ruffer for your form, a couple good moddeling tools, a lip tucking tool, paint brushes, an air brush, etc, etc...

Hard to say that 'just one' is more important than the others...just start making a list and working off it slowly....

7. LOL

8. I can't live without X-ACTO knives. A skife makes life easier. And ear openers are worth their weight in gold imo.

9. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    I've been doing taxidermy for four years and I'm still getting new tools.

You'll go through a few tools that aren't worth a damn too.

10. grumpy1122

grumpy1122 New Member

Buy the DVD first, watch a couple of times and pay attention to the tools that are used and go from their.

11. Bigbucklover69

Found carters dvd on line, ordered the dvd and catalog as well... I see you mentioned a stand, i looked on ebay and there is a few but look really cheap..What form stand do you recommend? I think Mckenzie had a nice one..

12. grumpy1122

grumpy1122 New Member

When I tools buy the best you can afford.

13. Boomer Sooner

Boomer Sooner New Member

build your own stand. some tolls will be used for many different uses such as ears openers used to help get hide on the form. Also i get alot of my tools from lowes and hobby lobby

14. Bigbucklover69 I have a table top mounting stand I will give you if you pay shipping. It will work just fine for doing deer heads. PM me your info and I will get it sent out

15. Bigbucklover69

Sifford pm sent.. thanks alot...I guess im gonna have to watch this video and see what tools to buy, i got diff mags but there is so many diff tools and im sure some i wont need and others ill need more then one of them... i cant wait to go to school in a few weeks,, counting down the days...