1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dental instruments

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bdorsett, Apr 9, 2012.

1. bdorsett

bdorsett New Member

I know there are all kinds and sizes of instruments out there. I have some (wax carvers) that I picked up from hobby lobby but they seem a bit on the bulky side.
    I would like to order some, but I dont know the names and sizes.
    What do you use most for your finish work?
    Really wanting a few spatula sizes.
    What do you call the instrument that is shaped like a pick but is kind of flat on the end. For placing apoxy sculpt around eyes.
    Thanks for any help.

2. http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/17/model.html

The Gene Smith tool is what I use, good tool.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have a tool that I bought from James Taxidermy Supply. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. It's my newest "favorite" modeling tool!

4. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    [​IMG]

A lot of good modeling tools.

eBay 14 pc dental set

5. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

you can get dental instuments from the junk yard for about a buck a pice or ask your dentent the throw them away all the time

6. xtpoz

xtpoz New Member

I became friends with my dentist and I order alginate and go through his books to see what else I could use. They offered some of there old instruments to me too. Just ask them and they might hook you up. I also have the tweezers and scissors that the nurse used to take the stitches out of my hand. The worse they can say is no.. lol!

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I use paint brush handles, just touch the tip to the bench grinder and put flats on the sides, great for eye tucking, placing apoxy around the glass. No scratches with wood.

8. jorgy

jorgy New Member

I think this is the tool I use the most for sculpting the clay around the eyes and for applying epoxy when doing finish work. It is shaped like a spoon on one end and a paddle on the other. It works great

http://www.mckenziesp.com/450231-P14065C2126.aspx

9. bdorsett

bdorsett New Member

Lots of help, Thanks!