1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sturgeon, White.......(Acipenser transmontanus)

Discussion in 'Fish Reference Photos' started by DocEsox, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Caught these white sturgeon on the Snake River in the Hell's Canyon area. Amusing guys to fish with...they didn't count the number of sturgeon caught in a day but the number of feet caught. River was way to freaking high but we did okay....at first my wife and I each caught a little one to break the ice....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After handling my little 4 footer I found my palm bleeding profusely....word to the wise on handling one of these critters....the low lying humps down the dorsal spine can be sharp as a razor....yeooowww...

[​IMG]

An hour later we hooked into a nice one....felt like a beast......after 40 minutes I managed to beach this 71/2 footer....couldn't roll it over for pictures...I was so frigging tired I could hardly move....

[​IMG]

After recuperating for a few minutes, like an idiot I tried to lift this critter....the guide laughed telling me....afterwards, of course.....it probably weighed 250 lbs or more....now he tells me....one hernia later...

[​IMG]

A few more holes with no success and we took a lunch break....where we managed to wrestle this sucker out of sunken bushes.....very white colored fish....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately I could get this one into the air.....barely.....

[​IMG]

We started fishing back toward the launch when my wife hooked an absolute behemoth in a deep hole....after 10 minutes she was exhausted and handed the rod off to me. We knew it was a giant and the guide had manuvered the boat into the main river channel where this thing took a hundred yards of very heavy line and hugged the bottom. Couldn't move him for 30 minutes....about this time my bad shoulder (well they're both bad....one is just worse) cramped up on me (my wife refused to take the rod back) so I handed it off to the deck hand, a very big, burly guy. Just after handing it off the monster came up and cleared the water.....I couldn't believe it.....guide and me both estimated an easy 10 feet maybe 11. We worked the thing for nearly 90 minutes so we could actually guide it a little....we were looking for someplace to try to get in close to beach it when all of a sudden...ping.....the hook popped out. All I could do was salute that fish. These big ones can live to be 100-125 years old....they were originally anadramous but dams have landlocked them....amazing to think that that particular fish was alive before all those dams were built.

We had plenty of day left and put back in our original hole where I immediately hopped into another 7 footer. We chased him down river and finally beached him after 30 minute, or so....

[​IMG]

Couldn't find my needle nose pliers so I started looking in the obvious places...

[​IMG]

The guide said we could hit another hole or two.....told him the fish had beaten the heck out of me and it was time to go in....23 or feet of sturgeon beached, and a behemoth lost was plenty.....

Brian