1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo ears / pre-sculpted butts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Redfisher, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Does anyone use the pre-sculpted ear butts with the bondo ear method? I have a Rick Carter video and he mentioned this in the video. I know, why would u just not use plastic liners and butts, my answer is, bondo works for me but my clay ear butts need alot of help.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

I've never done it that way but have tried the opposite... Liners with clay butts for early season thin, crisp, detailed ears.

3. I don't.. but using something already done for you won't help you learn to shape them unless it's for reference. If you don't have a reference piece to go by you should get one, big help seeing what you need to shape and how it's shaped. ;)

4. I use them with my comercial mounts w/ bodo-hair , They work great

5. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

The sooner you get away from bondo ears ,,the better your mounts will look
    They split over time, break when they roll-over, or the tips get bumped,, are clubby and thick,,,(as the above said, do not look thin and crisp),,, are non transparent when it comes to competition work, and impracticle to create veined work in summer capes,,and if one is the wrong shape, that cannot be altered unless you peel the bondo out, with earliners, i can hit it with a hot air gun and reshape ,, even after mounted,,,and you can anchor the earliner into a nice clay or slow set mache butt
    I can bend an ear at right angles, and it WILL spring right back to shape with an earliner.

6. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Thanks for the advice.

7. nalley1952

nalley1952 New Member

Nice, you've got no idea what your talking about!

8. Some can...some can't. ::)

9. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

HA,,,,that's a bit harsh ,,dont know what im talking about???
    LOL
    YES,,, after 35 years ,,A Master World Show title, two NTA National Titles, a Competitors Award, and an Award of Excellence,,,,,,ha im a complete imbecile.
    But who cares!
    (As Archie Philips would say,,rub brass all over your face,,, you have to read his book on that one)

If anyone can show me a Bondo ear doing this,,(even a complete 180 on thinner ears,,and coming back to normal),,as well as being transparent to the torch in judging and beautifully thin for the likes of commercial Kudus , then i stand corrected.
    In fact i will pay your airfare to come here and show me how you can produce a flexible, transparent, ultra thin bondo ear that will never drum whilst still retaining the cartilage and is as thin as an earliner.

The first two photoos are of an earliner ear
    the bottom one a bondo ear done by another taxidermist

Anyone can make earliners once they cast their own cartilage molds,,its very simple,,and when you get those Namibian capes with the guts of the ears torn out and no cartilages at all,,or better still chewed away by weavels and rodents whilst in storage,,,THAT walks the talk.
    No place for ooooooozy bodo filler there!
    The one exception i have it for is commercial pig ears.

The split ears are Kudu ears done with bondo and the one bent over is an earliner ear .

All i wish to point out to the beginners here, is that liner ears, the same principles used by Akeley and Coleman Jonas,, over time are more durable, and present better
    Just take a peep at the Amercan Museum of Natural History NY.
    No banana blesbok or bifold Kudu ears there !

Attached Files:

10. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

wow!!! How can that kudu ear bend like that without the skin cracking??? thanks for sharing those pictures