1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skinning a goose

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by stuffit44, Apr 12, 2012.

1. So I get this call tonight, How much to skin a Goose?? What?? how much to skin a Goose?? So you don't want it mounted, no I just want the skin..
    so I ask since here in Illinois the season is closed where it was taken, road kill he tells me, So I just say no way I am touching this thing, so then he wants
    to know how to go about skinning so his wife can make things with all the feathers, so she can sell them, I tell him you can't sell anything with Goose or any kind of Migratory
    birds, oh yeah you can, he says, we do it all the time but buy the feathers from another taxidermist, well go back to him for this..
    it got me to thinking I know you can't sell the birds but what about the feathers?? I say its a no go

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

You can't even sell the crap between it's toes.

3. SeñiorBirdBrain

SeñiorBirdBrain New Member

Feathers of migratory fowl may be sold for fly tying or mattress stuffing.. Those are the only reasons I know that $$ can be exchanged.

Señior Bird Brain

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find that on the Internet and all I've come up with is you can only sell captive raised bird feathers. If yo don't have a hunting license and the stamps, federal and state or a federal migratory permit you aren't supposed to posses feathers if migratory birds.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Here we are.
    Anyone desiring to possess migratory birds or their parts or products should be aware that all of these are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16U.S.C. 703-712), which implements a series of international treaties designed to protect migratory birds.

Some key provisions of the Act are worth keeping in mind:

Wording of the Act makes it very clear that most actions that result in "taking" or possession of a protected species or its parts or products is a violation of the Act. Specifically, the Act states:
    "Unless and except as permitted by regulations, …it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means, or in any manner…to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, …possess, offer for sale, sell, …purchase, import…any migratory bird, any part, nest, or eggs of any such bird…"

6. SeñiorBirdBrain

SeñiorBirdBrain New Member

50 cfr 20 subpart j ; sect: 20.91

Commercial use of feathers

SUBPART J -- FEATHERS OR SKINS

§ 20.91 Commercial use of feathers.
    Any person may possess, purchase, sell, barter, or transport for the making of fishing flies, bed pillows, and mattresses, and for similar commercial uses the feathers of migratory waterfowl (ducks, geese, brant, and swans) killed by hunting pursuant to this part, or seized and condemned by Federal or State game authorities, except that:

(a) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter for millinery or ornamental use the feathers of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part; and

(b) No person shall purchase, sell, barter, or offer to purchase, sell, or barter mounted specimens of migratory game birds taken under authority of this part

Señior Bird Brain

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

he can't ,,shouldn't pick it up out of season .EVEN in season that guy would need a duck stamp and hunting license and waterfowl wetlands stamp

8. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

What's a waterfowl wetlands stamp. Can't say that I've ever bought one...