1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lame video

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Maybe more, if you think they help you any????

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-K7e1xs3VPEU1amom7CiA?feature=mhee

THIN spot in center of chin, NOT thick! LOL

2. Pinebear

Pinebear New Member

Not lame at all! Great stuff, thanks for the help.

3. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I want to be like you when I grow up!! I got lot out of it. hey this should go to the tutorials
    section. thanks

4. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Great Job!

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Slow eh? Good to see that old Raw Hide in action..

Good stuff OS...Thanks.

Oh, I keep a stick handy to clean that frass from under the guards..

6. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Oldshaver---Thankyou. Question-- How smooth is your hide after running the roundknife over it in your demonstration? I still get very faint lines no matter how much I work at steeling (not heavy ridges) Can I do better or is this normal? I know tanneries sand hides in the finishing process-- would going over the cape with a sander be worth it on capes such as WT?

7. excellent demo., great for the beginner or pro. Thank you.

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Nice Demo Aubrey!

9. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Wow :eek:

10. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Love to watch you work Your Magic Aubrey!

11. Very very cool, Supertramp playin in the background too! ;D

12. Rhino

Very smooth. No visible lines.

13. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

OLDSHAVER ---Steeled my blade just like you demonstrated. Shaved three spare Wt capes today and got really nice smooth results. My lip must not have been turned down enough and caused the lines on the cape. Finally feel that I'm doing it right after seeing you use your steels. Thank you again for putting the video together---it saved me alot of trial and error.

14. Thanks for demonstrating how a pro does it. Crazy seeing your left thumb touching the guard so close to the blade. Good job and thanks for taking the time putting the vid together.

15. David Patton came to San Antonio last year and taught me a bucket load about shaving and steeling a blade. If you have one of the hardened steel blades with the narrow lip, it takes a bit more pressure under the lip and very little on the top side. It's funny that David says the exact opposite of Aubrey when it comes to which side to shave from. Dave says left side is wrong and Aubrey says right side is wrong. Maybe they should get together, go drink some beer and have a pissin match! :-D Just pokin ya Aubrey!

16. Very helpful thank you. Can I make a request for another? I have a Dakota Pro Series flesher. I know shaving technique will be the same, but any tips on proper set up specific to the pro series if you have access to one would be greatly appreciated.

17. Rhino

You stand on the right side, just right of center, pullin from left to right. Did I screw that up John? Makes me nervous being filmed!! I can do it, much beter than I can explain it!LOL Didnt edit these things!

18. I'll have to watch it again but I think so. You should get over the stage freight cause you are a fantastic shaver with alot of experience to share. Same goes for Ol Dave. I look at what is coming out of the cut, not what is going thru the blade. Even in very detailed areas. I got an old monarch machine from David that has a swivel seat and used to swivel to the left side to see what I was cutting. For the most part I can shave from the right except in the nose area. Call me.

19. Pinebear

Pinebear New Member

Bobcat was great too, thanks for making the video. Would love to see a big beaver done also.

20. Thank you, thank you for taking the time Aubrey. Great job on the deer and bobcat.