1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ever see a Whitetail deer with fangs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Buckie101, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I got this deer in a few week ago to do a euro on and never seen fangs on the upper pallet.
    Anyone else ever see this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

YEP

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Yes, many times. In fact Ive seen this exact topic posted here many times, lol. Check the archives for plenty of reading about these. Theyre often referred to as maxillary teeth, ;)

4. In all my year of taxidermy , I have never found or seen this before thousands of deer I've sKinned

5. They are "canine" teeth. Doesn't have to be a canine to have canine teeth. In humans the third tooth from the center is the canine tooth.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The phenomenon seems to be localized and I suspect genetic to one or two herds within that region. Here in this small state I get about 1in 10 from one area alone. I don't recall seeing any from other parts of the state. In elk, Sika, and Muntjact, these are normal.

7. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Got a big muley in this year with nice K-9s.

8. if you want to see some fangs then look at chinese water deer or muntjac deer..

9. Bill Yox

How about elk, they got em too.

10. dc240nt

dc240nt Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

They are quite common in the sandy hills of SE North Dakota. Not uncommon up here but still neat.

11. Get them here in the south as well. Had them from FL, GA and SC seems to have them offten, most I have seen came from SC.

12. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Meat eaters :)

13. GC424

GC424 New Member

That would make deer hunting a little more interesting

14. Bill Yox

Call em canines, but I learned it as maxillary teeth, on the maxillary arch, like a bear, used for stripping. They run the shoots through the arch, and strip it off. No need to worry about them becoming meateaters, lol... ;)...(joking of course)

15. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

I actually posted a doe on here this year with fangs. I am told by the local guys that it is a recessive gene that is a genetic throwback to prehistoric deer. Some of the more isolated asiatic deer still have these fangs as already mentioned. If you look at http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,288651.0.html I posted lots more photos. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. horsefeathers

horsefeathers Member

Mulies/blacktails have them too. This is from my California 2010 blacktail buck - my first buck. I was thrilled to discover he had canines. (Sorry the skull isn't on a pretty backdrop or anything. I've been meaning to get him an oak or cedar plaque.)

[​IMG]