1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ABNORMAL CRITTERS!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Light Rail Coyote, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Have heard a bit of confusing information regarding brindle coyotes. Some people seem to think that any charcoal-colored or abnormally dark coyote is 'brindle'. But an animal with true brindle coloration will have stripes and mottled patches of brown, black, tan, and gray. In a coyote, the coloration looks much like it does on a Dutch shepherd dog.

Here's a pretty exceptional example of brindle markings in a canine: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C9kWzhlSosY/ULtd3CMo9XI/AAAAAAAAAXA/-OLVJ3_ZKiQ/s1600/DutchShepherd.jpg
    Since that one is a little light in color, here's a darker brindle dog, more similar to the brindle coyotes I've seen and worked with personally: http://www.younghaus.com/uploads/images/RudiePeggeA.jpg

Among coyotes, it's usually easy to spot brindle markings on the belly and legs, where the length of the fur doesn't hide the variation in colors. If it's all one color, and doesn't have stripes, it's not a brindle coyote.

Here's more information about brindle markings in canines: http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/brindle.html

Hope this helps!

2. xWolfHauntx

xWolfHauntx New Member

PA
    I have to agree with LightRail Coyote, I've seen a few melanistic coyotes be called brindle, but that is not the case. It's hard to mistake a brindle coyote even with it's legs chopped off, they have such unique markings. You's see mottled stripes or splashes of darker color on the light parts of the coyote, which typically are the legs, underside, and fact, but with most coyotes that don't have an overly saturated saddle, you'll see them on the rest of the body too, looking like they are spanning out of the saddle I've seen even, like vines. Some coyotes actually have brindle in their saddles.

You should upload pics of your coyote when you can and we could likely help you with what coloration your coyote is.

3. Dritt

Dritt New Member

Here's a pretty coyote/coy-dog I recently bought from a guy up in Maine.

[​IMG]

And here is a little red pup I had. It became my first life size, and, despite its many issues (lots of skinning holes, a shredded fore-leg, and badly slipped legs), came out fairly decent. I also have a huge male coyote that could be this little guy's fully grown twin, but sadly did not get any good pictures of it before sending it off to the tannery.

[​IMG]

thylacinelover likes this.
  4. This is my wallhanger Brindle Coyote;

[​IMG]

5. skallet roseri

skallet roseri needless to say!

Telling you Dritt, I will give you a nice pretty penny for that Black and Tan coyote you got there! Hahaha

6. midnightwolfdesigns

midnightwolfdesigns New Member

My "Coyote Rainbow". Looks like I need to add a brindle and a piebald to this collection..... The white is actually an enhanced moonlight coyote. But everything else is natural!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

HOWS THIS FOR RARE,ALBINO SPIKE AKA UNICORN

Attached Files:

8. Just_Me_Niki

Just_Me_Niki New Member

Found this picture of a melanistic whitetail buck a few years ago. Sure hope she had him mounted lifesize. Gorgeous.

Pic from: http://www.thejump.net/hunting/4-hunting-6/whitetail-pictures-11.htm

Attached Files:

9. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

LOVE that he's still got a white underside to his tail. That's one unique buck for sure!

10. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I've seen that picture before and I've always wanted to dye a deer to look like that. Such an awesome animal. You never see any of those melanistic deer mounted.

11. MiniaturePaws

MiniaturePaws Member

Would love to see some more abnormal critters!

12. TheFianna

TheFianna New Member

Here's my contribution

[​IMG]
    Oddly colored deer hooves. Seems some of our local deer have some black/dark brown markings on their feet.

[​IMG]
    Almost white piebald whitetail pelt. Wish I had the whole thing :(

13. cynpeterson

cynpeterson Member

[​IMG]
    Cream coyote
    [​IMG]
    Dark brown/black coyote
    [​IMG]
    Ginger coyote
    [​IMG]
    Ginger's face
    [​IMG]
    Black and white coyote
    [​IMG]
    White coyote
    [​IMG]
    White coyote details
    [​IMG]
    Possible coyote/wolf
    [​IMG]
    Red phased bob next to normal
    [​IMG]
    Red phased bobcat
    [​IMG]
    Leucistic antelope

Since there was a request for more, here you go!

14. cynpeterson

cynpeterson Member

Midnightwolfdesigns- I am totally in love with that gray coyote on the front of your coyote rainbow!

15. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

love the pronghorn...have never seen one like it

16. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

[​IMG]

Had for a while, gonna mount her up soon. Pretty small coyote/shepherd mix

17. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

Odd colored coon

Attached Files:

18. duxznbucx

duxznbucx Member

A couple odd colored coon Done by Kellys wildlife.

Attached Files:

19. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

wierd eyes on a Bobcat!!!!

Attached Files:

20. classicfur

classicfur Taxidermist - 30 Years

Maine
    Blackest coyote I have ever seen. Customer brought this in today.

Attached Files: