1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing a cape by hand in record time...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by joeym, Apr 15, 2012.

1. i have been using this same technique for many years and can do a deer cape in about 35 minutes once it's on the fleshing beam so that doesn't include washing,towel drying and tumble drying the cape.The secret to this is the tumbler which takes alot of the moisture out of the flesh and skin and yes the knife will shave it down like butter.I use a large kitchen butcher type knife and one of those handheld sharpeners to keep the edge and use a scalpel around the eyes, nose and mouth..hope this helps

2. linder

linder New Member

Would love to see him at work .

3. I got my knife in the mail yesterday , have it sharpened and ready to try it out.

4. elkhunter

elkhunter New Member

I use the same method to flesh but i have never thought of washing the raw cape first. I was allways told to never introduce water to a cape. does most people wash the capes first?

5. i wash mine in dawn soap for about 20 min then rinse and then soak in pd-64 bateriacide from matuska's for another 20 min,drip dry then towel dry then tumble for about 40min to an hour...once again without the tumbler you ain't gonna be hittin on sqaut...hope this helps

6. ?? What do you mean without tumbler you don't have squat ??

7. the tumbler takes the moisture out of the flesh and hide and allows the knife to shave it down easily...without that the skin would be to slippery for it to work as well...give it a try

8. Do you add anything in the tumbler ?

9. i use corn cob grit and add some dry preservative or borax for bug proofing...been using this technique for over 15 yrs without any problems

10. we coat the hide in borax and then tumble as WT states

11. nitt

nitt Member

very cool but I think I will stick to my fleshing machine love my fingers and dont like sewing holes I cut with knives anyway. think 30 minutes on a fleshing wheel isnt bad though I do use a victorinox knife for all my rough fleshing on a table and only take me about 20 to 35 min to flesh n turn a raw cape.

12. oldfool

oldfool New Member

MS
    he fleshed 2 capes during his seminar while he was talking to everyone. less than an hour

13. linder

linder New Member

I have always taken my cape out of the freezer Washed with Dawn or tail and main then tumble it and flesh ,no problem or anything.