1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do you let the customer have his turkey meat?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by George, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Never

64.6%
  2. Always

21.5%
  3. Sometimes but I always charge extra

13.9%
  1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The site has been in the doldrums of late and since turkey seasons are here for most of us, what better way to stir things up than to add a poll.

Just so you know, I NEVER skin a bird out for the customer (and I don't keep the meat for myself as if I wanted a turkey, I'd go to the grocery and buy a Butterball). I don't do it out of caution that if the customer ate the turkey and got food poisoning, what's to protect me from being sued for having "unsanitary" conditions. I'm not a butcher. They want it mounted lifesize, they give up the turkey. I skin it and toss the meat.

2. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

I've only done a couple but ive never had the customer ask for it back. Same as fish, I think for the most part people are just focused on how they want it mounted. I never would consider eating any customer specimens brought in. Though i did lick a raw coyote skull on a dare....still here, dont remember what I spent the 10 bucks on either.

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I know guys thatll give back fish meat while they wait, turkey meat, and waterfowl...that is absolutely NUTS. Thats asking for trouble, liability alone from poultry and its bacteria issues, no less all other lawsuits. The only way you can wind up with a faster court date is to marry my ex.

4. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I occasionally will , but I don't encourage it for the above mentioned reasons.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't do birds for customers, but, I did have a guy bring me a bear skin for life size. In Oregon we have to submit the skull to the fish and game for tagging and take a tooth. It still had the head in it so as I skinned out the head, so he could take the skull, I asked him if he wanted the meat off the head and if he didn't I would like it. He asked me if it was good and I said it was great. I cut the meat off with my deer butchering knife and he took the "steaks" home with him. Next day he brought a plate of cooked bear head meat to share with me. I'd never eaten bear head before but my bluff had been called. I can tell you bear head meat is really, well, pretty good.

6. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I'll tell them how to remove the breast meat if they ask, and they are welcome to take it out if they want, but i will not.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Depends on who, and if I have the time to skin the bird while its fresh. I've saved the breast out of two so far this year. If requested, I'd do it for some select family members...just call it "Montezuma's Revenge", LOL!!!

8. still huntin

still huntin New Member

Fellas liable to get shot over a fresh wild turkey breast in this part of the country! Just sayin. That said, I'll skin it and then hand them a knife and Ziplock bag and let the handle there own meat. But, I've got a little OCD and my shop is prolly cleaner than most reatraunts.

9. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Never ever. Mount it or eat it, PERIOD. Like stated Law suit waiting to happen.

10. cht

cht New Member

Well if they like the borax taste I suppose they could have the whole carcass back.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are not required to be USDA approved to process wild game for an individual that they provide. I do not believe there is a liability issue if you skin out their fresh bird while they wait. I choose not to. 3bears

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I will show them how to breast it out and they are welcome to do it themselves. Otherwise, the meat gets tossed - or maybe if it seems okay the dogs might get part of it, but they are small dogs and don't eat much. Wild turkey is too dry for my tastes, and besides - I have a yard full of heritage turkeys if I should suddenly get the urge for turkey.

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I dont really care what you others do, in the truest sense, as Im sure not TELLING you what to do anyway. Im just saying, think this through. Its like the old man that says he "dont need to look both ways before crossing, hell, (hes) done got the mail across the street for years!" Its not how many times he made it, its that nagging issue about that one time he doesnt make it, lol.

I figure I can hand out meat back to a bunch of happy customers for years, but just one guy chokes on a bb HE put in the bird, and take a guess what the widows attorney is going to do? Yeah, THATS what Im talking about.

I agree with the rest of you though, if they wanna breast it themselves, but thats another story. I hate to get a ripped open turkey, and you know thats whatll happen, but thats as far as I go! Good luck which ever way you chose.

14. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

They have got to choose, either get it mounted or eat it.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I got a turkey tail and beard in last week and after I cut off the tail, spurs & beard, I took the meat to the smokehouse for the guy..... he had shot it only an hour prior though. On lifesize mounts or other conditions I do not offer or return the meat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

If it's a fresh kill.....I'm eatin that sucker.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Michael, wasn't it you and Harry Whitehead and Grumpa who were busting my chops about not charging enough for the instant habitats????? Hmmmm, this one should be interesting.

18. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I would never let a customer " breast out" his own turkey. I prefer to case skin all my birds, because it helps to protect the breast feathers during the fleshing process. A customer will normally do more harm then good trying to breast out his own bird. I have had way to many breasted out turks come in from other taxidermists that are a complete hack job, when a retail client tries it.......

Best not to give the meat back period.

19. you know what Yox, If they asked for it back I would give it to them, then I read this and started thinking about it and never again, those blades we use are not by any means
    steril,the table tops, I am pretty anal about getting all that cleaned.
    but wow this was very good to read,

20. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Just the thought of having to marry Bills ex talked me out of it.