1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

parrot skeleton - furcula position

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Orkman-X, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

dear bone-addicts,

I'm currently toying with a grey parrot skeleton but I forgot to take pictures/notes of the furcula position when the bird was gutted.

I could really need some help cuz I'm confused.

Would the position be like this?

[​IMG]

Or would it be like this?

[​IMG]

both seem to be possible.

many thanks in advance for helping me out.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Bottom picture. :) They might also be reversed.

3. ravenswings1

ravenswings1 New Member

USA
    Wouter, Guus, and Jean-Christophe are the guys to talk to!

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I believe you are referring to what is also known as the "clavicle". It is the same on all birds. You can see the position on the chicken skeleton below.

[​IMG]

There is even a Wikki page on it which will also show you. Google "Parrot skeleton" and you will find more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furcula

5. Wouter and Guus mostly for birds. I would say top picture for angle and bottom for bone arientation to respect connexions looking at my reference pictures, but parrot furcula seems floating and not strongly articulated to skeleton like on gannet.
    Nice start on it, hope you will show us when finished.

Attached Files:

6. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Greetings,

It is definitely the lower picture. I have a couple dozen grey parrot skeletons in the collection and the second one I opened still had the furcula attached. The furcula is commonly known in the US as a wishbone. I could send you a picture separately but can't reduce the size to post here. We have almost 800 Psittaciformes skeletons in the reference collection of which about 700 I ran through my dermestid colony.

7. Orkman-X this is the picture you needed, it comes from PA's beetled specimens.

Attached Files:

8. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

Hey Jean-Christophe & PA,

that is indeed the picture I needed. Thank you very much for posting and for the PM!!!

I'll post pictures again when the skeleton is done, it shouldn't take too long now.

best regards

Marc

9. Guus

Guus Member

Nice skeleton! I was away for a while but I'm happy to see another skeleton being articulated! If you try you'll see (in most birds) that the furcula fits on the coracoids, this might help as well while articulating. Did you glue the neck already? If possible you can try to make it look a bit more flowing, I know it can be hard to do, but the result might be nicer. Please post pictures when done!

10. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

hey friends,

as promised a few pics of the finished parrot, I hope you like it and ofcourse feel free to post your remarks!
    Many thanks also for the help on the wishbone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cheers

11. It's great I think, both cleaning and articulation. No rings and hyoid ?

12. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

Re: parrot skeleton - furcula position - finished

hey Jean-Christophe,

that's a good point you make there about the rings and hyoids.
    I'm never sure if I should keep/attach em. Is there some consensus about them that they should be added?
    I mean I never keep em on bird skulls as most guys I know. Wouter's skullsite don't have 'em and the skeletons there don't either.
    Maybe it's a thing like beak-sheets and nails/talons. I know in Dutch championship, judges don't like seeing them as they are not part of the skeleton but at the WTC, all birds had sheets and talons.

I don't know tbh.

marc

13. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Hey Marc,
    Very nice skeleton indeed! The other bird guys like Wouter, PA or Guus will maybe chime in for eventual criticism, but it looks fine to me :)
    There's no consensus on the rings/hyoid/talons, it's more a matter of personal taste, and wether or not you plan to enter it in the championships, since as you said, the requirement can vary.
    But if it is just for display/your collection, you should keep everything, it makes for a more complete skeleton I think :) The rings can be difficult to keep if you macerate the specimen, but you should look over here for some ideas:
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,247609.0.html
    What's going to be next to the parrot by the way (asking because of the second acrylic rod)?

14. Beak sheets and nails can be discuss but for me sclerotic rings at least add a lot to the looking, give life. It's true that I saw very few specimens in France that have them.