1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat Critique

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by bcdixon, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Rurouna

Rurouna Aspiring Beginner Taxidermist | Pelt Enthusiast

Even from a beginner's standpoint I can still see a lot of what everyone else is saying that's wrong with this mount. I'm sorry that this happened to you, but I agree at attempting to fluff it up and if that doesn't help satisfy you I'd go to a more experienced taxidermist in your area. But I wouldn't go back to that guy at all...

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I don't think I need to say anything, everyone else has pretty much summed it up. It has ALOT of issues and it will never be right or even close with just fluffing the mount up. Did you see some of his cat work before leaving it with him?

3. AaronWolf

AaronWolf Member

wow, cant believe anybody would send a mount out of their shop looking like that. and base your reputation and name on that kind of work. would like to see the other mounts they turn out. even think its the same cat? to take something so beautifull and turn it into that, good greif. its a turd, no matter how much you shine and try to polish it, its still a turd.

4. Wait, who mounted it? Where did you find this person? Do they have a website?

5. I wonder if they did it themselves and just are too embarrassed to admit it?
    Not saying they did,just curious because they never made another post after the first two they made and them getting negative comments about it.

6. bcdixon

bcdixon New Member

I have been talking to a taxidermist who was kind enough to try and fix the mount the best he can. I only saw one cat the original taxidermist had mounted and I did not know how to judge his work. After I saw this mount and compared it to my original pics, I was disappointed. He was recommended by three people I knew and he had mounted 2 deer and one bear for them and they were happy with the results. Prior to this I have never been fortunate to have killed an animal I would consider worth mounting. So this is my first experience with a taxidermist and I have learned a valuable lesson. Thanks for the responses.

7. What did his other animals look like?

8. HVF

HVF New Member

I am often flabbergasted by people that have absolutely no eye for judging quality taxidermy.
    I see hunters recommend a certain taxidermist just raving about what great work they do and it is all I can do to keep biting my tongue.

Plenty of skilled taxidermists on this site.
    Do your research and reap the rewards.

9. irishme

irishme New Member

:mad: wow looks so dirty first and foremost.
    Then go from there:(

10. Mountainman Vic

Mountainman Vic New Member

You know a few years back I took a big gobbler that I had killed into have it mounted in a strut pose. When I got it back I nearly was in tears over how awful it looked and I was then determined that I could do a much better job on my own and that was the year I started doing my own work. Granted, I've got a long way to go but at least I know the guy doing it cares. Whats worse is the guy who did that gobbler is raved about by so many people in the area and his work is horrible. Yet he gets 400 deer and 200 bear a year. Go figure.

I'm sorry that this happened to you.

11. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

That will be like a bad nightmare it keeps coming back! sorry