1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dead duck mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by arnonick, Apr 19, 2012.

1. arnonick

arnonick New Member

Hi There, After seeing and reading about Dead duck mounts on here I decided to have a go at one myself, This is my first dead mount but my 4th bird mount, so please feel free to point me in the right direction on any thing you find that is wrong with it, thanks ;D
    [​IMG]

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Just personal preference, I would have the head shown sideways rather than seeing the back of the head. Many guys would also close one wing more than the other. I think you did a good job.

3. still huntin

still huntin New Member

The free hanging foot and tail look contorted and un natural. They are both laying over way too far in my opinion. Other than that, looks good from what I can tell on this phone screen.

4. arnonick

arnonick New Member

Cheers Guys, I know what you mean about the way the foot and tail seem to hang unnaturally, but when I got the bird I hung it up by the leg and traced round it, so as to get a more natural looking pose, so that is how she was hanging before I mounted it.

5. Paul C

Paul C New Member

They look fine and that is a nice job for your 4th mount. "Dead"reference is, by far, the easiest to get and yet we never have any. I have several pics showing fresh kills with the foot and tail laying farther over than what you have.
    Nice job!

6. arnonick

arnonick New Member

Thanks Paul. I took a load of photo's of the hanging duck also. like you say they are easy to get but no one has any?? I have to admit that by making a trace outline on a piece of card made it easy to position the bird when it cam time to do so ;D

7. still huntin

still huntin New Member

Had rigamortis set in perhaps? Legs are so far open it looks like its doing the splits. Not doubting your reference, just isn't astetically pleasing to me the way it's positioned. But, then again I never got the gaming by the foot dead mount even though I have one on my living room wall. Always hang my ducks off the strap by there head, as does everyone I know.

All that said, it does lOok really good for your fourth! Keep at it bud.

8. arnonick

arnonick New Member

9. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Maybe you should look at some reference of freshly killed ducks hanging by a foot. This gadwall is doing the "splits" to such an extent that the hanging leg is hidden behind the dropped wing.

[​IMG]

10. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

Are you sure the leg isn't just bent in its normal position is to why you cant see it? I've never seen a duck do the splits like that BUT I like the mount. It looks good so it doesn't really matter what we think

11. Paul C

Paul C New Member

What is "its normal position" for a dead duck?

12. still huntin

still huntin New Member

Paul, maybe you ought to re-read my posts. I clearly the tail looked contorted. In your picture, is the body straight and the tail kicked over? Nope, natural curvature of the entire body. And sorry to say, a ducks leg does not lay over perpendicular to the side of its body. It is not jointed that way. I'd say it is laying perpindicular away from its underside. The only way It would lay straight perpindicular to the side would be if it was broke. Just my opinion. But like i said we hand our ducks by the head.

13. Paul C

Paul C New Member

In the picture I just posted the duck's body is hanging straight down because of gravity and the tail and leg are kicked to the side. The wing is broken. The leg is not. Hope this clears it up.

14. still huntin

still huntin New Member

I was talking about the gradual twist from the base of the wings toward the tail.

15. Nice pic. I took pics of 5 or 6 different ducks over the last season. Depending on how they were shot they all hang different. I personally don't like the split legs, but I do love the pose in the picture. I really enjoy the one wing close and one wide open. The best thing I did in my shop was put a dead hanger with 2 ducks on it. It makes the customer want to save 2-3 ducks and get them mounted. That's 2-3 times the revenue of a mallard flying left wall hanger.

16. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

Their legs bend at the joint. IMO when a ducks being held by one leg gravity makes the other fall down not out to the side sticking strait out like its wired. Didn't mean to sound argumentative. Just my 2 cents. Sometimes on a duck mount doing things that aren't as natural but look good make a mount stand out more anyways.