1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Deer - Please Critique (Finish Pics Added)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Quicksliver, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Quicksliver

Quicksliver New Member

Here's my first attempt at a deer, my little archery buck from 2010. It was quite the learning experience, I know my next will be better. I haven't done any finishing work yet, still a little wet, been pretty damp and cool here this week. Please let me know what you think and areas that you see where I can improve. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if there's any other pics that'd help. Again, really appreciate any input you guys might have.

Luke

2. Re: First Deer - Please Critique

Looks really good. Looks to me like the eyelid crease is a little wide. Throat patch may be a little crooked, but its hard to tell with the angle of the light and angle of the turn. My biggest question is why you didn't sew up that arrow wound? If you did and that is just cut hair, I probably would have cut and re sewn it (like a football). Still, awesome job. Watch for those tear ducts to pull and the hair around the burrs. Plus, in know you said its not finished yet, but don't forget to do the modeling around the eyes.

3. Quicksliver

Quicksliver New Member

Re: First Deer - Please Critique

Thanks for the input gade04. That missing hair on his left shoulder is a rub mark, he's got a small chunk of busted hair just below it in the brisket as well. Thought I had it groomed decently, but as he's dried the hair opened up a little. Probably would have been good just to cut it like you said anyway. I've got the ducts pinned, just pulled them for the pics. You're right the eyelid crease is a little wide, I think it widened as I babysat the eyes making sure the lids didn't pull. Forgot about making the crease crisp. Pretty sure it's the light and shadow on the throat patch, I paid pretty close attention to that, but the turn on the 6500 might have goofed with me. Lot's of little things I know I missed, lots running through my mind on this first one. All seems to happen at the same time. Maybe I should know, but could you explain what you mean by modeling around the eyes? Do you mean Apoxie or modeling the eyeshape as I have it now as it dries? Thanks!

4. Re: First Deer - Please Critique

I was talking about using apoxie sculpt or wax to finish the eyes/membrane once it is dry. You'll have to use some in the nose, too, but I'm sure you know all of that. By the way, that's a nice deer that you refer to as your "little archery buck." Congratulations.

5. Re: First Deer - Please Critique

Study refference on the ear butts and hair patterns on the ears. Nice for a first though. check for symetry on all things when doing next day work and such you will see thing you didnt before. also take some pictures that helps to. look for eye symetry, nose wings, how open the nostrils are ect..... That would be considered a trophy archery buck on my list.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Never trust the form for your final shape, forms are just a starting point, they all need tweaked and balanced out, some more than others. The nostril on the left ( our right) is more correct in height from lip, the right side ( our left) is to high from the lip. The nostrils, eyes, ears, hair patterns, should all match in symmetry from side to side, the left side of the face should match the right side.

Attached Files:

• test.jpg
      test.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Quicksliver

Quicksliver New Member

Thanks for the input guys! Great point on the nose T. I noticed that the hair inside the lower part of his right nostril didn't roll at the same point as the left and didn't quite know where I went wrong. I knew from the beginning that my earbutts were going to be a little off, I knew I didn't quite have enough clay in there. When things started going together, I got rattled because of a couple issues going on (struggling with the long incision, ears not doing what I wanted, thinking that my 555 may have froze, fixed split skullplate after falling..., etc.) and hurried through a few steps. I need to get a different reference book, I'm very disappointed in the one I picked up. Several of the pictures are just wrong, no lip showing in the frontal pic, whole lip showing in the side mouth view, eye pic is from about 3 inches and the deer is reacting, etc. Should've taken the laptop out to the garage. Next time. Really appreciate the comments guys. Learned something from all of them. Thanks!

And don't be deceived, it's a little buck on a 6 3/4 6500. His G2s are only about 6", and probably wouldn't break 100" gross. Still proud of him, but I've got bigger ones.

My next step is a lesson with a very good taxidermist, so I know I'll learn a ton when I do #2 with him. Can"t wait for #3.

Thanks again for taking the time for a little critique. I know there's a lot of them are thrown on here and it can get tiresome.

8. Re: First Deer - Please Critique

Nice 1st one Quicksilver. If you tuck that plastic bag into the nostrisl all the way, out of your line of sight, it'll help ya get the nostrils balanced easier. Just a thought......John

9. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Yup , sounds like simple beginner issues and the good thing is , you know it! You have great attitude and I'll bet your gonna be put'n out some dang good work over the next year or two if ya keep at it ! Get some training SOON so your not making the same mistakes over and over and wasting money or worse yet making these same mistakes on your early customers. Might as well get your fine tuning done now, you have the basics. Good luck

10. Re: First Deer - Please Critique

looks realy nice :). did you watch any training vids? what other taxi work have you done? that is a nice buck even if he is a bit small. u done a real good job mounting him as well. i am no expert but isee nothin dramaticaly off. your off to a good start. pay attention as dries for shrinkage around eyes and lips. congrats on the deer and mount!

11. Quicksliver

Quicksliver New Member

Thanks guys. Going to get a lesson for my next mount. I have Rick Carter's vid, and did a mallard 20 years ago (I was 12) and then did 4 ducks about 5 years ago. Thanks for the encouragement.

12. Quicksliver

Quicksliver New Member

Finally did the finish work on my deer. Took me a while to work up the courage to throw paint on him... Pretty happy with how he turned out. Let me know what you think or anything you see that I can improve on. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Super job ! You did a good job on the finish work around the eyes for your first time , usually first time finish's look way way over painted. The nose on the other hand resembles a rasberry to me IMO, if it was me I would maybe brush a light layer of modge podge across the top of the pad to soften it up a bit....again just my oppinion so take it with a grain of salt lol ! You keep at it and you'll be put'n out some great work I think .

14. Quicksliver

Quicksliver New Member

Thanks again, Fozzie. Funny you mention the nose pad. I was thinking the same thing. The reason the lower half looks better than the upper is that when I was doing the Apoxie work in the nostrils, I had a paper towel with some lacquer thinner in it in my hand and inadvertently pressed it on the nose while I was working, the lower portion flattened (looking much better IMO) and the upper wasn't touched. I didn't notice the difference in the definition until it was painted, and then it really became apparent. I used modge podge on each of the nodules via a toothpick, to build them back up. What do guys typically do to rebuild the nose? (I know, I should search the archives...) I don't want to lose all the definition, but don't want it to look like a raspberry either. Thanks!

Luke

15. mccraw23

mccraw23 New Member

Very very nice! Great job.

Roy McCraw

16. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

Nice job!Keep up good work ur going to be a great Taxidermist! Seen Other First deer on here yours is one of the best!

17. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Your off to an excellent start bro! My hell that's crazy good for your first..as far as the building the nodules on the nose I use a detail bottle made for just that , fill it with mod podge and your good to go. I got it from true fit. They have small , med and large.

18. Kevin Jaramillo

Kevin Jaramillo New Member

Re: Re: First Deer - Please Critique (Finish Pics Added)

Fantastic start bud wish my first would have been like this...keep on keepin on

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

For your first you did an excellent job. I can tell you my first didn't turn out anything al all like I wanted it to. I was fighting my first mount from start to finish.

20. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Ha ..... I did that yesterday for some reason.....it was like
    day 1 all over again. I hate it when that happens lol!