1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Driftwood, gloss or not?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Apr 20, 2012.

1. When you guys attach a fish to driftwood (artificial in this case) do you like to gloss it to give the wet look or leave as is?

2. As is!......John

3. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

X2

4. Cool, thank you!

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I have done both
    It all depends on the effect I want to present

Carl

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

As is also. I hate glossing as it is anyway and my automotive gloss isn't cheap.

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

the wood usually sucks up most of it anyway. Besides, I like the contrast between the wet and dry, so, no gloss

8. J-Jay

J-Jay New Member

I have never had a reason yet to gloss drift wood. Like stated before the contrast of dry:wet is nice.

9. if you do a water scene and have the drift wood sticking up through the surface of the water you should gloss the wood that is below the water and go a little above the surface. I use elmers glue mixed with water for glossing wood.

10. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

As is unless client forces me to. Not to mention gloss on driftwood is different than on the fish itself. Gloss might look good on driftwood for a short time but it starts gathering dust and then it looks terrible !! Who wants to dust it every 5 or 6 days ???