1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

largemouth jaw meat

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by big J, Apr 20, 2012.

1. i was talking to another fish taxidermist the other day and we were discussing the jaw meat in the fish, and he was telling me he dosen't remove the jaw meat in his largemouth and smallmouth bass he said there was not that much meat in there to remove not like a northern. just wondering how many of you taxidermist leave the meat in you bass and how many remove it?

2. waynek316

waynek316 New Member

Ohio
    I always remove the jaw meat in my bass. That's the way I was taught though.

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Taste almost as good as cheek meat. I never leave it in.

4. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

Are you talking about the cheek meat?

5. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I believe he is referring to the meat on the inside of the mouth along each side's jaw bone.

Krome is on the way.

6. paul right i'am talking about the meat inside the mouth on each side

7. Brother who ever the taxidermist u where talking to
    Is dead wrong. In a average size 23-22 inch bass there enough meat in there to make a freaking sandwich... He's it a taxidermist he's a hackisdemist..

Take it all out through the eye socket with a good cheering tool and borax.. More borax the better after you get in there and work the cheering tool around and use ur finger pull it out...

Give me his client list sure there Are some fish sliding down some walls ready for a redue.

Then fill it with a filler.... Epo grip, exop sculp etc..

8. gade04

gade04 New Member

I'm not a fisherman nor a fish taxidermist, but if I were to get one mounted, I wouldn't want no damn fish meat left in it.

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

How the hell do you get the jaw meat out through the eye socket?

I hope my tounge in cheek response above regarding jaw meat tasting as good as cheek meat didn't confuse everyone. I did clarify that I never leave it in, jaw meat that is. I think everyone knows the cheek meat comes out.

PB

10. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

simple remove all flesh...everything...or use a cast head

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'm a hacksidermist as I don't worry about the jaw meat on a largemouth. Cheek meat absolutely does come out though.

I had a 10 pounder on the wall from Florida for 20 years until a guy begged me to sell it to him and never had any issues whatsoever leaving the jaw meat in.

I do take the jaw meat out of musky and pike though.

12. I was wondering that to Paul, how do you get the meat out threw the eye socket, I just cut it out threw the mouth and rebuild wiyh magic sculp

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Big J,

If you must take out the lower jaw meat I would think you could take it out by making an incision with a scalpel from the outside vs. the inside right along the inside edge of the mandible on each side. Clean it out from the outside and once the mouth is propped open for drying (if you're doing an open mouth) you shouldn't even have to do any filling or repair work. In the open mouth position the incision is closed automatically.

At least that's the way it works for me on northerns and musky. Once in a while I will do some damage on the inside that requires filling though.

If' you'd like me to post pictures from a northern I'd be glad to.

14. Cecil thanks i learned that from you on my northerns, i take the meat out from the outside, i haven't really tried it on my bass thought, i have a couple to do these week and i think i'll try it on my bass, but i'am glad you posted that awhile back because those northerns were making my hands look like hamburger,my wife would know every time i skinned a northern i would come in the house with my hands bleeding. HAHA

15. I'm with Cecil. Musky and and northerns only. I asked a buddy of mine if he wanted me to freshen up his 24" bass I did for him 20 years ago. There is absolutely no grease bleed on this fish. My 20 year old paint job looks like a first grader did it.LOL. I know I do a much more thorough job on the fleshing and degreasing of a fish today, especially the head of a bass. I don't know if I may be missing something or not, interesting.

Cecil, we will have to start a Hacksidermy.net web site for people like us or maybe Ken can give us a hacksidermy forum on this site.

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

O.K. as long as you don't call me a basement bandit. ;D

17. muddler

muddler New Member

cecil, would you post somepics on the removal process from the outside of a northern?
    thanks in advance.
    ed

18. den007

den007 Active Member

Sure, cheek meat is the big tasty............jaw meat........I take it out of all pike, never bothered with bass. Never had any problems either.

19. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Ive gotten repeat clients over 25 yrs old and have never had a complaint particular with bass.Ive cleaned and scraped inside the cheek and did it again for insurance.A little borax after tan and moving on.However the first Northern I used a ton of filler and seems a gal of perfume.You sometimes learn the hardway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

20. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

Being in Ga I haven't fooled with any pike or musky yet.But what about striped bass?I imagine this would be a needed step if using the real head?...thanks to Cecil in advance as well for the pics.I skinned a 20lb striped yesterday and this was in the back of my head the whole time.I would like to get it out of there but the meat I THINK y'all are talking about looks like it would be easier to take out from the inside because of the bony plates on the bottom....Unless the fish had some decent chompers on it.....looking forward to the pics