1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which eyes and why

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by PercaFluviatilis, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Flex-eyes

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Still Life Lenses

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. Van Dykes Natural Eyes

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Tohickon 135

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. Tohickon 140

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Tohickon 145

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tohickon 150

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Van Dykes U1, U2, B2 or B5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Van Dykes 24KT backed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. KL glassaugen 160 AF

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  11. other, what

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Harum

Harum Active Member

John, Those are my old eyes. Once Josh came out with his tutorial I advanced my techniques. Tom and Brett's eyes are, in part, based off of Josh's tutorial with a bit of technical help from me. At this time I am not sharing my current methods or even any pics. I don't mind seeing my techniques show up in competition but if a person takes credit for the techniques I will no longer be helpful. These following pics are not of my current work but I feel they are better than my first attempt. Creating your own eyes gives you the opportunity to control the iris to sclera band transition, much more accurate than glass, due to thickness issues. I'm not fond of the blob of glass that distorts the pupil, iris and transition to sclera band. Jeff's eyes come closer but I prefer to have full control.

Here is a past attempt at a Smallmouth. Hard to get by with flaws when you place them in the sunlight...

Attached Files:

2. Harum

Harum Active Member

Chum eye.

Attached Files:

3. Harum

Harum Active Member

Detail shot.

Attached Files:

4. Harum

Harum Active Member

Angle shot to show the transition. This was in my 2011 World show piece.

Attached Files:

5. Harum

Harum Active Member

Another Chum with unique markings.

Attached Files:

6. den007

den007 Active Member

Better view of walleye. Commercial? I don't think so.

Attached Files:

7. BMW

BMW New Member

Hey Guys-
    I'm not really weighing in on the which eye is best concept, but I saw the idea of the homemade eye come up and really wanted to see what everyone has to say. Our pike eyes were very much a conglomeration of ideas that would not have happened if not for Pete's advice. We just felt the need to have a more accurately shaped eye for our species. Tom spent many, many hours painting dozens of eyes and experimenting with different materials and techniques. We learned a ton and it was really fun.
    My two cents: I just think that when time allows, it's a cool way to add your own unique touch to your piece.
    BMW

8. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting Pete, one day I think I shall get round to doing some hand made eyes, (I have some to do for a small trout but time is pressing on this one so they will be a "make do" pair) , to do it properly I would need to take a lot more real eye pics and mess about with actual eyes to determine what gives then the "real" look we are all trying to achieve..
    But to keep within time constraints for now I think I shall keep using the still life eyes. I do see what your trying to achieve Pete, with ALL commercial eyes one is still relying on blending the scleral band in most eye poses and this has to be done externally.
    This has been an interesting thread.
    Here are two of my recent eyes.
    Atlantic salmon eye
    [​IMG]
    Koi carp scleral band transition
    [​IMG]

9. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Custom eyes: for me, they don't make commercial sense unless you are financially recoperating the time and effort. There are customers who have no appreciable concern for the cost of their mount....I don't have them however.

There are some benefits to a custom eye if you paint your own eyes:

1.) I think you have better control over detail since you are painting bottom up, vice top down like the reverse sequence all commercial eye blanks require.

2.) You control the exact size and shape of the eye, so you can get the most accurate anatomy possible; if you can do a good job at it. One factor I like is that you can increase the depth of the pupil, which I think looks really cool. Check out this site on fish eye anatomy, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature2 . I haven't dissected a fish eye, so I'm no expert on this aspect, however.

3.) If you really wanted to, I think you could do a full 360 fish eye. No real application, but cool. Certainly(as HARUM's chum eye demonstrates), you can get more sclera for extreme poses without needing to build one with epoxy sculpt.

Anyway, just the opinion of a newcomer.

Best, Scott

10. Harum

Harum Active Member

Great looking eyes John,

With my studies I have found that the iris shape is one key element to realism. The iris elevates into the pupil and also elevates into the scleral capsule. It creates a sharp edged transition that I have only been able to replicate with custom eyes. Keep in mind that the pupils you see, in my eyes, are not painted black. They are clear. You can shine a flashlight into them and not see the bottom. The depth of the pupil and the reflection of a proper shaped iris can not be effectively portrayed in a photo. Here is a shot of the Smallmouth eye set in the head. Has a much cleaner appearance than the highly detailed macro pictures. It is more like what you would see with the naked eye.

-Pete

Attached Files:

11. so do you insert a black disk or something behind the eye? Nice eye by the way