1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead mount pose ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by 6pointer, Apr 21, 2012.

1. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

How come you never see any dead mounts posed hanging from the neck on a strap? Is there a reason it can't be done? Im getting ready to do a gadwall and I just think it would be way better hanging the normal way! I can do the typical dead pose just wondered why they are always done that way

2. It's not that it can't be done. They just aren't very attractive . Just my opinion.

3. arnonick

arnonick Member

I agree, they dont look that nice hung by the neck,in the UK I have only ever seen pheasants and partridge hung by the neck never duck and if I ever do a dead pheasant or partridge brace mount it will probably be by the legs also, (probably) :-\

4. still huntin

still huntin New Member

Fixing to do a 4 mallard limit dead mount all hung by the neck.

5. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

You really can't find many pics of mounts done that way but I can see where the neck,head, and strap would conflict each other but if it was done right it would look more natural IMO.

6. I've done both. It just looks better hanging by the foot. Also I like to do them in pairs personally. Please post some pics when you get done. Maybe there is a way that you can do it and make it look good.

7. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

If I decide to do it with the strap I will take some pics. Who knows it might turn out terrible and I will find out why no one does it or it might be cool

8. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

I wondered the very same thing a few years back. I've never actually seen anyone hang a dead duck in the feild by their foot... so, of course I too wondered why they were all mounted that way. I did find a few pics of some that had been done hanging by the neck, but, none looked as good as the ducks mounted hung by the foot. I agree with most other people... by the foot is just a better way to show off the bird, although, you probably wouldn't ever carry one like that in the field.

9. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

I just went throug some hunting pics this year and have a couple incredible reference photos i will post as soon as I get them to photo bucket

10. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

[​IMG]

this is a really good pic took from this season

11. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

[​IMG]
    jack shot on juvi hunt

[​IMG]
    my buddy insists on using his 10 gauge to water swat it right after i just said i wanted to mount it. yeah i could of ordered a fake bill but i prefer keeping the original head.

12. Geauxtigers1421

Geauxtigers1421 New Member

Few from this season

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

The reason I don't do them by the head is u end up with a " blob" of ducks with heads all together. Really just a personal preference.
    I don't think these would look good with heads all mashed on top of each other?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my latest project. 12 birds on a bench inside the blind. Going into a coffee table.
    [​IMG]

I did see a strap mount recently where they did 4 mallards by the head that looked great.

14. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I carry all of my birds from the feet. I think it's a taxidermist thing. If I carry them from the head, it is by the bill.

15. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

Well yeah if I want to mount it I won't even hang it

16. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

The reason I would not do a dead
    Mount duck by the neck is basically because they would look like the pictures provided by 6point. If you like that look them by all means go for it. But to me I think it looks distasteful. Especially the photo of the bill completely destroyed. But as I mentioned it is completely up to you or your customer how you want them portrayed.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. 6pointer

6pointer New Member

Yeah the bill was destroyed. It was also breasted out and put in the freezer for dinner! Thats not distasteful but I guess the mount style is hit or miss with someone I just think it different and you rarely see mounts done this way.

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

One hundred people surveyed, top two answers on the board! 99 people said by the feet, one person said by the neck! There's your answer!

19. still huntin

still huntin New Member

They definately look better by the foot. Just not realistic to a duck hunter. I think the key is using the sliding loop type strap for a hanging neck mount, rather than the slide through metal style in the pics. Yeah, I use the style shown when hunting, but gonna use the slip loop style on this mount when I do it. I think it will work out fine. I've hung several thawed out ducks by one in the shop just to see. Looks good, and the neck stays straight, rather than bent at a 90 like in the pics posted.

20. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Well-Known Member

Idaho
    Same reason that skunks aren't mounted in a pancake dead on the road pose. They stink.

Just my opinion ;D

Rustybucknutz likes this.