1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by KatieC, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I'm sure this is terrible by the standards of most people on here, but I'm still happy to have done my first deer. I know that I got the antlers tipped too far forward, didn't tuck the lip perfectly, didn't get the throat patch centered, have staple holes in the ears, and the skin pulled away slightly around the antler burrs. I totally botched the ears on my second deer so won't even bother showing that one. How can I make my third better? Are there any tricks for keeping the skin tight with the antler burrs?

I've also been told that the ears should be back on an upright mannikin like this. Is that always the case or is it just personal preference? I need to study up and get more familiar with white-tails.

Thanks guys! I know the photos aren't exactly what you're looking for to critique, but that's what I have.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

Well your first looks like a deer that is a good thing. The issues that you already see yourself are what I see as well. Let me add that you have the antlers too high. In my experience the average measurement from the center of the eye to the bottom of the bur is 2 1/4 inches. Yours looks twice that. On the next one before caping take as many measurements as possible from points on the rack to the front of the nose and the center of the eye. Snap a pi cure as well. Do a little digging on here you will find a bunch of info on antler setting. Getting the antlers set where they belong will help alleviate a bunch of issues on the rest. I don't know who told you that the ears should be back on an upright or why, but that doesn't make sense to me. A deer in the upright position is ususally alert and consentrating on something in front of it. Sure they will move them around to scan for any danger from all directions. When that is the case they won't typically be both back at the same time. Study at as many pictures as you can and watch deer as often as you can you should see what I am trying to say. Have fun with it and keep learning, 3bears

3. thin the skin around the burrs and it won't shrink ,also you can pin them.
  4. Thanks, I appreciate it. For both the deer I've done, I didn't start out with an intact deer with antlers. The first deer had the antlers removed and I substituted some others in, so wasn't able to get the antler measurements. For the second, I had a cape already tanned and just picked some antlers for it. Is there a good way to set the antlers when you don't have the initial measurements from the actual deer? I'll do some digging on here and see what I can find too.

I have about 2 1/2 inches from the center of the eye to the bottom of the burr, so a little big (he's a pretty small buck though, so maybe it should be much less).

I also figured that the deer could hold its ears forward or backwards depending on where it was listening. I think the person might have meant that an aggressive upright position deer would have ears back. I'm not sure exactly.

Thanks again to both of you. I'm having lots of fun with these and hope to improve.