1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler placement....?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Thefishen1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Thefishen1

Thefishen1 New Member

On my last deer I mounted I was dinged on my antler placement, and they said it threw the whole thing off.When I place them (positive set with bondo) I triple checked them to the measurements I had taken and I thought they looked correct. Soooo I took a couple pics so I can get some different opinions. Right now the antlers are in the proper spot according to the measurements I have taken.Tip of the antler to the nose,tip of the antler to the front corner of the eye, and from the base of the antler to the corner of the eye.

Let me know what you think...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. to me they look like they are tipped to far forward, set to high and to far back.
    main been should be in the same plane as the bridge of the nose.
    Drop the antlers down a little, carve a little foam out from in front of the skull cap so the antlers can slide forward.
    Lean your antlers back a little more and then check your measurement from the front corner to antler burr.

3. huntnut78

huntnut78 New Member

Re: Re: Antler placement....?

Tipped too far forward. If that throws off your tip to nose measurement then you need to take a little off the front of the skullplate, or not sweat it. What is more important is the plane of the bridge of the nose continues into the main beams until the curve. Look at some reference of live deer from the side and you will see what I mean.

4. huntnut78

huntnut78 New Member

Re: Re: Antler placement....?

Dang... Dave beat me to it!

5. tem

tem Active Member

i would cut the form before the skull plate. its a lot easier,and you can take a little off at a time.

6. Thefishen1

Thefishen1 New Member

I didn't think it looked right to me either,I shaved a little off the manikin and it snugged right up and it looks much better I think and all the measurements are good...thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Looks much better. Now how does the cape fit.

8. Thefishen1

Thefishen1 New Member

I test fit the cape before I started the antlers, I needed to sand about 1/2 to 3/4 inch off the neck.I'm going to test fit again..."messure twice cut once".The face looked good though, I had a gap in the back on my slit a little sanding well do.

9. This should be the proper antler and earbutt location, not just rule of thumb. We've had judges tell this at
    our state competition. Yours is still 1/4 to 1/2" high. Here's a reference pic I found, the antler's and ear butts do line up.
    Jim

Attached Files:

10. Matt

Matt New Member

There will always be exceptions to the rule and that is why good measurements are key. I just mounted one last week that breaks all the rules!(LOL) Don't have a pic, but his mainbeams shoot straight up off the head.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Taking a nose to antler burr measurement doesn't keep you from setting the rack to high in the sky. Anyone can set the rack to the pre skin measurements and still be to high. If you can see turkey Jim's photos, he pointed it out to you.
    Who says that the form is correct? If you set the skull to the top edge of the form, you will most always be to high.

Attached Files:

12. gade04

gade04 New Member

If you measure nose to burr and nose to tip of the main beam before skinning, wouldn't that give you correct height, tilt, and forward/backward?

13. This one seems to go up?

Attached Files:

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

No, because you didn't measure vertically, only length wise. You can measure from nose to tip of beams and burrs, yet if you raise the rack, you can still get the nose to burr and beam tip measurements, but have the rack raised to high.

Silverman, you got your yellow line off, go from the center of the nostril through the front corner of the eye, the burr should set on that line, there are some exceptions on goofy racks, some racks do tilt forward, and some lay back, but on average, they set on that line.

Attached Files:

• pft.jpg
      pft.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
  15. gade04

gade04 New Member

But if two legs of the triangle maintain the same length (nose to burr and nose to antler tip) then the third leg should maintain the same length as well (height).

16. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Stick with....

Stick with triangulation....that is way better than anything else....and that is a fact.

:)

Kerby...

17. Quick question guys....sorry to derail but seems like there is some great info here.

I dont have a pile of 'reference' for mule deer yet (working slowly at it), but is there much of a guideline or rule thats similar with the angle of the antlers in relationship to the face for mule deer?

18. Thanks Mr T.,I just thought I would point out that some do go up.

19. Thefishen1

Thefishen1 New Member

I agree there are some screwy racks out there...my next deer was hit by a car some time ago and the skull was in a weird shape, and it was missing part of his orbit bone, I have a trail cam pic of a deer that is a unicorn, it has one horn that grows out of his head it's the right beam and has a crok at the end.

I think I got it....??????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

NO! Your not getting what I am trying to say, Nose to burr, 10 inches, nose to beam tip, 14 inches. You can put a block of 2X4 wood on top of the form, set that antlers and still get a 10 inch nose to burr, and a 14 inch nose to beam tip. Those two measurements alone are not enough to set the rack with, next time you skin out a head, take a straight edge, place it from the center of the nostril through the front corner of the eye and look where the antler burr sets. Now, you can raise the rack an inch and a half, and still have the same nose to burr, and nose to beam tip measurements, but have the rack to high.