1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with Jack Rabbit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmmolan, Apr 23, 2012.

1. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    I have a jack rabbit I want to mount.

I'm still pretty new to this and I have done other small animals such as skunks, badgers, beaver, and a gray fox but I have read that jack rabbits are the hardest to skin out. I have read some of the posts on here as well, but I am nervous about the legs because they are so thin. Any advice on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

2. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

I have not mounted a jack rabbit, however I have mounted a cottontail and my recommendation is to skin slowly.

3. slow but not to slow, their skin is so thin heat build up happends quickly. I'd use Stop rot, and hope you have lots of luck. Rabbits are not my friend.
    Jim

4. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

No doubt about it the skin is thin. I used the case incision on my specimen. I detatched at the knee then after completed, I skinned the rest of the legs and the feet. I wimped put and did not attempt to remove the ear cartilage. I was ecstatic to skin it with one slight tear on one of the legs, that I did not want to risk tearing apart the ear. When I mounted it I carded the ears, as you would imagine, the edges slightly curled. Overall I was pleased. If I remember correct, I got the tear around the dew claw area. Just take your time around it. I dry preserved it, had no loss of hair issues.Took it to our state show, got a 2nd in the pro division. For never mounting one before I was happy with it. Good luck :)