1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hardwood sawdust?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KansasBuck, Apr 23, 2012.

1. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

Just picked up a sack of sawdust from my local mill shop. It is a mixture of woods from oak, pine and even particle board. Is this as usable as the stuff the supply houses sell? This came from there saws. They also said they get barrels full from their sanders. Is that usable?

2. Re: Re: Hardwood sawdust?

I have heard some types like the oak are a carcinigen (sp?) If you breath them in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

Re: Re: Hardwood sawdust?

Saw dust tends to be hooked more than corncpb grit and will stay in the feathers mpre and harder to get out. I would stay with the corncob grit but sawdust will work.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Hardwood sawdust works great, pine does not. Course sawdust from pine is curled and will make a mess of your bird, you will have a hard time getting it out of the feathers.

5. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

I used saw dust on the first dozen or so birds i did. i used some from oak and cypress, and some from pine and other softer woods. they do work, but corn cob grit works sooo much better for me. i bought a bag for $40 or so. the stuff last dang near forever and it is so much easier to get out of the feathers. i don't think i really ever got all of the saw dust out the birds i used it on. but, maybe i was using the wrong stuff.