1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Specimens

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ryanstraw, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

Does anyone know where I can get a couple palominos and rainbows for sale? Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

2. TimsTax

TimsTax New Member

Do a search for trout hatcheries on google in your area. Give any of them a call there usually reasonable.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Your state fish and game or DNR should have a list of private trout hatcheries. Rainbows are easy to come by if you can find a hatchery. A dime a dozen.

4. ryanstraw

I checked a few and emailed some but I got told they do not ship fish. There is one somewhere near clear creek state park but I can't find the number to it or even a location.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah most likely you'll have to pick up. Trust me you wouldn't want many of them to ship the fish anyway. I referred someone to a hatchery in Wisconsin once, and the taxidermist got the trout finless. Apparently the fish farmer had no clue that frozen fins are almost as fragile as potato chips and didn't pack them appropriately.

I also know of a hatchery in northern Wisconsin that made the mistake of sending fish to a taxidermist without prepayment. They got stiffed.

6. ryanstraw

Yeah that's what they told me and I had a typo in the first reply I meant to say I am waiting on a reply back from Lake Clear Creek Hatchery and there is a hatchery for Clear Creek near where I live that I used to go to when I was younger which I can't find. I'm trying to find it so I can go there but no luck.

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ryan,

Apparently your fish and game and boat commission is one of those that doesn't have a high opinion of private trout farms so they don't list them on the site. At least I couldn't find a listing.

See if you can find it here:

http://www.ustfa.org/industry/Directory/producers.html#m-p

8. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Try asking in the wanted section of this site.