1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I dp but want to try tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by deerstuffer, Apr 24, 2012.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Another option that is a mid-point between DP & tanning is to apply Sodium sulfate (SS) to the prepped skin, refrigerate overnight, wash out the SS, spin, towel dry, shave, then apply Ben Mears spray tan, or Sure Cure spray tan.

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

George, you're not making sense. I said I don't have experience with tans that don't require pickles. You have said many times KT isn't a tan. You came back with saying I must not have done much tanning (if I haven't tanned without a pickle). That makes no sense. Most people who tan DO use a pickle so to say that if I haven't used a brush on tan like JRTS without a pickle means I don't have much experience tanning just doesn't make sense. There's probably people on here who have tanned more hides by far than you who haven't used a tan that doesn't require a pickle. I'm guessing you just misspoke or didn't understand the implications of what you were saying. If that's the case, let's just move on. If not, we'll have to agree to disagree because I don't know why you would say something like that.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No I understood well and what you thought you said didn't come across that way. Bot KT and JRTS/PT are hide preservation methods akin to DP in one sense. Yet they BOTH are "partial" tans. I still subscribe to using a tanning agent without the pickle since when I pickle it to a pH of 1.5, then I have to neutralize it to 7.0 and then lower it again to 4.5. NO ONE, including my good buddy Bruce Rittel has convinced me of the necessity of the pickle. Conversely, the "pickle tans" (like Krowtann) leave a harsh and tough skin UNLESS neutralized and oiled (as Krowtann directs). I don't know about your last statement, but when I started back in the 50's we pickled with battery acid and we tanned with alum. I never liked either. Then I pickled with formic and tanned with Lutan. I even chrome tanned a bit before the days of the EPA. Still I looked for the EASIEST, FASTEST method that would give me the feel and smell of leather without all that pickle mixing and stirring. (And before you pull the stunt another guy here likes to try, YES, I've used Krowtann. On my first, the hide shrunk 2 inches. On the second one, I found very good stretch and it mounted exceptionally well.) But it's NOT "easier" nor "faster" than JRTS and PT.

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've used JRTS, but as you said the mixture isn't what it used to be. It seemed just about like most other tans I've used. I did use it with a pickle so it was a true tan when I did it as far as I know. The bottle did say it could be used with or without a pickle, but the temperatures here are already in the mid to high '90's so I don't like not using a pickle. I was far more impressed with TruBond than any other tan I have come across. I've tried quite a few and they all seem about the same to me with the exception of krowtann and TruBond. I use krowtann when I get a hide that is very questionable and is especially prone to slipping like grey fox and bobcat. I have never lost one to slippage that I krowtanned. I know it's considered a preservative. For most things I now use TruBond because I've never used a product that makes a hide so soft and stretchable. In my opinion, it is superior to most if not all home tan products that I've used. I was very skeptical before trying it, especially with the TruBond B which leaves skins soft without breaking them. I didn't believe it would truely be as soft and stretchable as my tannery produces, but it did. I have only used it on fox and bobcat wall hangers which are thinner skins, but it worked just as it promised. I have never used dp on anything. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

George, I ordered a quart of PT from HQ today...I'm really interested in trying it. Approx how many capes will a quart cover?

6. 24/7

24/7 New Member

No josh not mounting a salted cape. I faild to mention the last step. After washing out salt and final fleshing u spray with the Sure Cure and use some tanning oil around eyes lips and nose pad. I do realise its not a tan but is simply a preservative.

7. I've been using the PSI tanner and Liqua Tan for 14 years, Heavy skins go to the tannery. If I didn't have PSI tanner, all would go to Tannery. The key to being successful at home is being able to shave with a big wheel machine, otherwise your not going to get your size back. But I can tell you from experience, if your used to DP skin mounting, where you think you have a lot of stretch, your gonna have to change your mindset to mount a tanned skin. George is right about the paint on tans or preserves, you'll get that raw feel and stretch, but because of the salting and washing you'll remove more blood from the skin than you will with a DP cape. I know that in the past I've had bug problems with the paint on tans. Theres probably something you could add to the skin along with the paint on to prevent bugs though, I just didn't.

8. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Tx Pat I hav wondered abt rubbing in some borax after paint on or spray on preservative as a bug deturant but didn't know if it would counter act ?

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Joey, I put it on heavy so I get about 3. Its thin so you might get 4. I'm just one if those people who thinks more is better.

10. McKenzie sells a product called Pro Tex Pre-soak, could be used in your wash solution before putting your tan on. Also Pro Tex Mount Care which can be put in your drum are sprayed on a finished mount ? I add this when I mix the MP hide paste. Just use with good ventilation , it gives me a headache.

11. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Pat. Ordered some pro tex today. Thanks for the tip