1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The NEW Game Warden.....

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by RDMARTIN53, Apr 24, 2012.

1. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

dropped in yesterday with one of my favorites......

Its a winter kill.....either cougar or wolves.

This will be used as a display in the Hunters Education Program.

[​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

How do you tell the age of an sheep like that?

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Count the rings on the horns and add 1. RD, I can't be sure of it on the picture. First I thought 5 and then I think 7 or 8. What did you get????

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Yeah he isn't real distinctive on the rings, atleast in the pics. Don't wolves usually chew the noses off? I know our yotes pretty much always chew them right down to where the teeth start.

5. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Kyle, lots of other critters to finish him off. IF the carcass was whole they would have skinned it and looked for chews or teeth marks in the nose, feet or blood marks under the hide where the pack took him down and held him. Wolves would have killed him, possibly fed a little then moved on to the next chase. Cougars commonly kill in this area BUT there is a GROWING wolf problem here. He has been dead a while and not much left to conclude one way or the other.

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

George, We looked at him close yesterday and looks like going on 6. Like Kyle noted the rings aren't very distinct.

7. Bob Katz

Bob Katz Lil One- my bestest girlfriend

Great advertiseing for you after you finish it. They can stop by my place anytime.

8. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Rd, do you charge the game warden? ????

9. native

native New Member

I would charge F&G double, lol

10. Lucky Dog!!!!!!!

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I thought that would be it but there seems to be a "lot" of rings. Is there a good way to differentiate between which ones to count and ones not? I have a couple of old sheep here. There are a lot of rings but some that seem heavier than the others. That's about the only difference I see clearly.

12. George

USUALLY the annual rings are much more defined than this one. I thought the lower number simply because the horn doesn't have the mass you'd expect out if an older sheep. There looks to be no brooming at all. RD has a beautiful specimen there. I'll look forward to seeing it when he finishes it.

13. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

George, I cleaned a winter kill from this same Ranch up by the Canadian Border 5-6 years ago for our retired Game Warden and was told then that this was a different breed than the Rocky Mountain Bighorn. I will be seeing the State Biologist this week and will get the name. It was one of those funny Canadian names - Gulch Bighorns. If I remember correctly there are not too many of them this side of the Continental Divide.

14. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Coop....I gave him the discounted price. He had his pretty, long legged new wife with him. grin

He left a little raghorn elk too.

15. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Here is my take. Pretty cool opportunity! I love those sheep as well!

[​IMG]

Here is one of my personal favorites, a Dall. [​IMG]

What is the age?

16. Teeth dont really show it but im guessin 13

17. George

DAMN I hate that. Had a kid last week that just had to bring his girlfriend with him. She had legs that went up to heaven and there wasn't a lot of cloud cover in those Daisy Dukes. He had a turkey tail fan and I don't think I charged him as much as I had in it.

18. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

8 yrs old

19. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I know what you mean......this new kid married well and she knew how to strike a pose. Darn small T-shirt with big bumps to go with the legs. Made this ole' man grin.

20. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member