1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Some ?'s about 1st raccoon, pre-mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Allie, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Allie

Allie Member

I've skinned and tanned my first coon, with liquatan. I plan to mount him later this week. I left what I guess is the cartilage in the ears, which is now pretty hard. I'm planning to make some earliners or apoxy sculpt, because there are too many holes for bondo. Should I/can I remove that cartilage? If so, can I cut it off with a scalpel? It feels like it has become one with the rest of the ear. Or should I cut if off after I rehydrate it, just before mounting?

Also, I figured since he's so hairy, this would be a good time to learn how to use the skife knife, and I put a few holes in him. And the flesh side is pretty rough. I've heard tell of sanding the hide. Will this help me smooth it out and what should I use to sand him?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm real close to scrapping this one and trying another. But if I can salvage him, my next one will certainly be better.

2. fltrn

fltrn Member

I am also a beginner, don't scrape it practice with it. I have had some problems in the past where I felt the same. Take this time to learn from your mistakes. Granted the ears might not turn out, but you can still practice on the body, legs, eyes, mouth, nose......... No matter what you can't mess it up. And after you are done and still want to scrape it go ahead, but at least you got to practice. Never pass up an opportunity to practice. Good luck.

3. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

I would not remove the cartilage. Rehydrate the skin completely- all parts soft. Towel dry it everywhere. Be sure the ears are fully turned - Apoxie Sculpt will work fine for the ears- Longer work time but be sure they are where you want them and starting to get hard before walking away for very long 'cause once they set they are there. Rough skin inside?? I would not worry about that unless you have some thick areas which you can thin with a scalpul. I would not sand a racoon. It's a fun mount and you can learn a lot from it. Very small holes don't matter so much under that long hair but you should sew up larger cuts. Good luck and ENJOY!

4. Allie

Allie Member

Thanks, Aaron. I'm a little concerned about the neck area, which I don't think I shaved enough. I'm gonna try to thin it down today, maybe sand it.

5. If you plan to use earliners, you will have to remove the cartilage. You can still use bondo for the ears. Just wet them with windex so you the excess bondo does not stick to the hair when it oozes out. Holes in the ears can be repaired with superglue and a dry sheet (I learned that on this website) on the inside. As others have said, do not worry about the rough skin on the inside.