1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Doing what I can for this bobcat

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by phoenix-cry, Apr 25, 2012.

1. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

I bought a discount bobcat hide (discounted for a reason, ya get what you pay for!). He was in pretty sad shape as far as the tan goes, this is the one I post that felt like cartilage. Anyway, people suggested some enzol-b, but I was afraid that if I put this cat back in the freezer and tried to thaw him one more time he'd just fall apart. As it is the pads are coming off at the slightest touch. The hide is very thick and has almost no stretch to it and was over all very delicate. It would take stitches down the back, but only if you squeezed the seam together, you couldn't pull on the thread very much or it just tore right out.

When it is dry I'm going to see how the pads are doing and rub off any that come off easy. Then I plan to fix with epoxy sculpt and paint. The mount is still drying as when it gets a little drier I'll start playing around with the eye shape (the other eye is closed).

There is a ring of pins around the scratching leg because the foot came off and the tan was much too delicate to stitch. So I put a little hide paste under there and put in the pins, my hope is that it will dry and stay in place. If it doesn't I'll deal with it when the time comes. The bones had been left in the toes making life difficult, but the tan was so delicate that I didn't dare try to remove them.

I have no idea if the finished product will be something that is strong enough to last or not. I'm just trying to save this poor cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

He's cute! How did you manage to get him on the form?! Sounds like it was quite the touch and go situation, lol.

3. phoenix-cry

Getting him onto the form was simmilar to how porcupines mate: very carefully.

4. I think with all the trouble you said you had it came out pretty good. Hopefully he will stay together for you.

5. phoenix-cry

Thanks! Yeah, I really hope he stays together. I assume that if it dries and hardens nicely that it will last well. I'm just keeping a really close eye on it while it dries. I don't think the leg fur will ever be really nice (it's a dark cat to begin with), but I think some new pads will go a long way to making him nicer. The insides of the ears will need some serious work as well.

6. Sounds like a really old tan to me. He looks surprisingly good for what you had to work with, nice job!

7. phoenix-cry

I think he was in the freezer for a long while. If he can stay together I think it will work!

8. phoenix-cry

Well it has been two days and he's still in one piece! The face is drying nicely.

9. gade04

gade04 New Member

You might have to put a little apoxie sculpt on the pads and texture them when it's all good and dry. I have never seen that pose for a bobcat. Did you pick that out for yourself or did someone request it?

10. Guerra

Guerra New Member

Very cool pose. Original for sure. Nice work!

11. phoenix-cry

Thanks! I do have plans to sculpt the pads in. I have a spare bobcat foot that I thought I could use to imprint the texture. I've always wanted to do this pose. Got the form from mcken supply.

12. you did a very nice job, i dont know if the one eye closed thing does it for me but the eye that you have open is very nice and realistic looking. the face has a very soft look that is needed to make cats look like cats

13. phoenix-cry

The one eye closed was a bit of a 'necessity'. I wanted to do that eye slightly open, but the stiffness and thick skin in the eyelid area that was too delicate to shave made it really difficult to work with so I closed it. When looking at ref it seems bobcats close both eyes while scratching, but I didn't want to do that. I'm pleased you like the soft face, that was the hardest part. :)