1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First lion

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kurtro08, Apr 26, 2012.

1. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

this is my first african lion rug. I did this mount a while back but I am suppose to be getting another lion in soon. Anybody have some advice for me? I know that my second one will be much better. Fingers crossed

Attached Files:

2. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

posting a couple more pictures

Attached Files:

3. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

I know all of you are probably about to lay in to me pretty good but its exactly what I need to improve

Attached Files:

4. cwt

cwt Active Member

I would repaint the nose and try to soften your lines and colors. Thats all I can tell you. John Belluci would know best and I am sure he will give you some advice. I have only worked on one Lion so I cant give ya to much advice.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Did a cat get it's tongue? Just kidding. John B. and a few others on here can definitely give you very detailed help. One thing that stands out to me is that it's not completely symmetrical. What you do on one side should be mirrored on the other side. For example, the gum line on the upper right by the canine is showing quite a bit, but not on the left. The left side of the lower gums looks like it's sticking out more than the right, but this just might be the picture. It looks like there is a lot of clay around the eyes. I don't do lions, but on the cats I do (bobcats), the hair beneath the nose is touching. In the pictures I just pulled up on google it's the same. Also, the whiskers look like they are coming straight out instead of slightly back and down. I think the best thing you can do is pull up some very good pictures and compare one to another side by side, feature by feature. I know John B. sells some great reference pictures. All that said, I'm sure it's better than what I would probably do on my first lion.

6. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Then when you get the head done to your satisfaction send it to a professional rugger!

7. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

thank you all boarhunter your advice is great everything you pointed out is true as for this mount it is what it is now but I should be getting at least one in come june...I hope to do much better one the next ones as far as this one the customer was satisfied and brought me more animals since then...I just need advice as to what to do better and what areas to improve on for the next...Bill this lion was sent to a professional rugger when finished I would never try that myself

8. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Kurt, I'm posting my reply from the lifesize section here also ...
    My best advice I can give you about a Lion, is to buy yourself a copy of The Breakthrough Art Of The Big Cat Manual. Most suppliers sell it, so it is easy to find and purchase. It has everything you could ever want to know about mounting Lions, along with a killer reference section. I can tell you, you do need good references. But at this point, anything I can write about Lions, I have already written .... it's all there for you. You just need to buy the book, then read it through. It explains everything. ;)

9. boarhunter67

Kurt-ro, I do remember a few months back someone posted a picture of a wet mounted lion. John and a few others went over it with a fine toothed comb with lots of picture comparisons and even photoshopped lines to show where things should be adjusted. The taxidermist made changes and posted more pics and got more advice. By the end you could really tell the difference. If you can find that thread, it might help. One thing I remember on the thread that was shown was how much black lip shows outside the mouth when the mouth is open and the shape of the lower lip line/gums. I'll look for the thread, but I'm not sure I'll find it.

10. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

X2 on John's book. I used John's book to mount my first lion (the one in my avatar). I learned a ton. A must read for anyone taking on this magnificent cat for the first time.

11. boarhunter67

I couldn't find the link I was looking for, but here is a link with a picture of a mount to compare yours with to see where yours needs improvement. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,280329.0.html
    Your cat looks like a nice mount, but the details are what could make it go from a nice looking lion mount to looking like a real live lion. When I did my bobcat with Rick Carter last summer, I spent two hours adjusting fine details after I usually would stop. Everything else was close to the same way I did it before, but when I came home and compared it to the bobcats I had mounted in the past, they all looked like nice mounts instead of a live bobcat like the one I mounted with Rick did. He put up a lot of large reference pictures and I would adjust and then he would come and point out things on another picture and I would adjust a bit more and so on. I had no idea, previously, how to do all the fine detail adjusting. You have to look at every microscopic detail and hair pattern. We even started by comparing the form to a skull and modifying it and deciding where the ears go based on the skull. I hope this encourages you do take it to the next step. Your lion is already good, but what I like about this art form is there is always room to improve.

12. kurtro08

kurtro08 New Member

thank you boarhunter that link is amazing makes we want to take mine off of here kinda embarrassing but in the future I hope to be as good as that. Definitely makes me want to take more time and put extra details in my work...I know that on commercial work you will go broke adding every detail but then again these cats are pure beauty and deserve to be done properly thank you all for your advice.