1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd LB repro attempt, criticisms please

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tmf48, Apr 26, 2012.

1. This is my second attempt at painting a repro. I would be grateful for any opinions and criticisms on what needs to be improved on.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. Sorry about the small size of the photo, hopefully this one is larger.

Attached Files:

3. 2wbdft

2wbdft Member

19th view...

ok, ill give it a whirl... bear in mind im only a budding "fishhead" lol, AND im not anywhere my reference so...

dark barred markings look a bit too low, im pretty sure they are supposed to be just a bit up from lateral line (might be angle of pic?) lighter blotchy markings above lateral line appear to be a bit light?

Base of tail looks to be a bit black, pectorals - clauduals - anal look to be minimally finished. (a bit of a blush along the base of the anal needed?)

... take my rookie critical eye for what its worth, but i can only pray to paint my first or second LM that well, Nice work. id hang it on my wall with zero regrets.

4. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

check your reference......good job, keep at it...i seen my one of my earlier fish at my brothers house in PA...talk about heavy painting..that was before modern paints...i used auto paints back then

5. Thanks guys, I definitely see what you are both talking about. The base of the tail being to dark is something I noticed but not until it was glossed. Seemed like it jumped out at me then but wasn't so pronounced before.

6. I'm sure some could critique all day long, BUT I have seen worse come from folks that consider themselves taxidermists! I think I started painting better when I took it less serious and started having some fun with it. Hang that baby on the wall!

7. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

You will find that the clear coat will make the colors "pop". Some colors such as intense yellow need to be applied carefully, even to the point that when you can see the color, you already have too much. I paint with lacquers and sometimes when applying these colors, I will mist a little on then give it a coat of clear lacquer to see if I need to add more. You will get a better feel for it after a while, but the clear coats between layers add more depth to you paint job IMO. Get you some good reference pictures and one of Rick Krane's videos. You won't be sorry. By the way, my first couple of fish were painted with a jade green automotive paint. They were pretty loud. :) Yours looks pretty good in comparison. Keep it up!

8. Thank guys, I already got the Rick Krane video, simply awesome!