1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not trying to start a fight, but honestly, how do they do it?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Apr 26, 2012.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Frog Nuts

2. JE

JE Well-Known Member

We have come to a sad state of affairs when a taxidermist has to go to these lengths to silence the hounds on this forum,
    John

3. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

Just so any up and coming taxidermist that might see this, it needs to be said that this does not mean you do not have to pay taxes. This is just sales tax. many states do not have sales tax. But they get there money from you in many other way's. Get a CPA. And make sure you will be protected from a audit through them. You would not want to build a business and then ten years later get audited and then lose your business.

4. sportsmen wildlife
    You are right about that. In La. although taxidermist and many other service occupations do not collect a sales tax on service rendered. If that same group should sell something like, any mount care product, you will have to annie-up on those sales.
    I don't know about other states but, We are required to pay a USE tax .If we buy any material from out side the state we are required to pay taxes on those products.That is why i try to buy within La. because taxes are applied to those sells.

5. michael p.

Horn bill or hornbill???

6. Horney Bill....

7. michael p.

Confucius say 'Zhège dòngwù biāoběn gǒu shǐ yīxiē gānggāng dédào chún tā mā de yúchǔn'.

8. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

I have decided that if i want to make this a profession then the $450 mounts I did last season arent going to cut it. I am raising my price to 600. Don't know about you guys but its not that the work isnt there its that the work is so spread out through so many new and old taxi's. Me advertising guy called me yesterday and he told me in 25 years of running the taxidermist section on the Fish and game book he has never seen so many ads going in as the last three years!!

9. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

Yep, all the construction workers who lost there jobs around here are now up and coming taxidermist. I've even got one advertising as a 30 year taxidermist, that just come out of no where. But I love a good challenge so bring it on..

10. If you are old enough to remember....About all the newbies and wannabes' popping up .........Like the lyric Ray Stevens used in one of his songs "Their everywhere their everywhere!"

11. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Problem is I cant say for certain that the industry is ever going to turn around for the better. I mean deer numbers down, bad economy, to many taxi's prices dropping below 90's levels and WAYYYYYY less hunters nowadays.

12. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but trophy deer hunting and management is a burgeoning industry. TDM/QDM are more popular than ever which means bigger bucks, and more mounts. You have to do what it takes to garner the best of the best clientel and then you will never have to worry abut how many competitors you have. Offer more unique options in euros and antler mounts. Upsell people into wall peds. Worry less about what other people are doing and concentrate on your own business.

13. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

In this day and age, people don't have to get out of low gear in order to get by. That's just what the cheepos are doing, just getting by. They follow one another around like cattle in a herd because of their perceived notion that there is safety in numbers.
    They figure that If everyone else is doing it that way, then it must be OK for them to do it that way too. They are playing a game called follow the follower. If they played follow the leader.. that on the other hand would be fine.
    Most go thru life backwards, making their living standard fit their incomes. What the more successful business owners have realized is that its also an option to.... make your income fit your living standard.
    Most people get very nervous when they realize that they are in charge of their own lives and destinies.. its easier to just go with the flow and idly hope that everything will be OK. But then there are the ones who leave the safety of the herd and strike out on an independent path of their own. They aren't satisfied with just "getting by." These are the folks that you see here with fine businesses and real incomes.

14. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Very nicely put Bill.

15. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    Bill, best thing said in 23 pages.

16. Bill your in the wrong line of business. You should be a speech writer. Very, very, well put!!

17. you hit the nail on the head,I admit I am in that boat. I served my country as a marine and now on disability. My wife is a accountant who make a 6 figure salary. I dont charge much but like you said I treat it more like a hobby. But I absolutly do excenllent work that is committmed to my customers.
    I trained with person who won best in world for ducks and Now looking to find someone who won the same titile or a national title to get me started with deer...

18. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Cheap = Fear. Fear that your customers will take the business somewhere else. Fear of raising your customers expectations and demands beyond your abilities. Fear of unemployment. There is an unrealistic security in having a year long backlog of work in the freezer. If you work 2 shifts every day at McDonald's for $7 an hour, you will make enough to survive. If you clear $100 per mount on 300 deer, you'd make the same amount of money. The total amount of hours worked would also be about the same. I'd pick McDonald's because there is far less responsibility and much more security. The job at McDonald's would not be as strenuous nor as dangerous. Far less headaches. People wouldn't see you at the mall and ask you when their Big Mac would be ready! lol

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A very good point. LOL

20. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

;D Cheap = Fear. Fear that your customers will take the business somewhere else. Fear of raising your customers expectations and demands beyond your abilities. Fear of unemployment. There is an unrealistic security in having a year long backlog of work in the freezer.

I've always stressed this. The Fear comes from being insecure, with low self confidence...
    PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

The Door greeter at Wall Mart has even less headaches.