1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not trying to start a fight, but honestly, how do they do it?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Apr 26, 2012.

1. pricing comes down to this; taxidermy is an art, and in all art there are masters and those wanting to be masters. a painting by Rembrant will sell for much more than one done by someone who took an art class! Not all taxidermist are created equally (some are born with a great gift for art and some are not) True masters do not give away their art,those just learning how to handle a paintbrush are satisfied with what anyone is willing to pay. I do not see to many true Master Taxidermist giving away their work!!

2. Makes since and a good read. I do have a question about the logic of it.
    If you where to take one of those "masters" and plant him right square dab in the middle of a small rural area with a total population of the entire county 4500. The largest employer being farming and top job is driving a tractor sun up to sun down for min. wage. With no over time and layed off in the winter. Will that " master" be able to sell that rembrant for top dollar ? and to enough of people to survive. Or would the art student selling forgeries of a Rembrant at half the cost come closer to surviving ?

3. People seeking true art will travel many miles to obtain it !!

4. lmao that sounds like it should be on a fortune cookie.
    or one of those confuses said

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

;D

Sanilac county...unemployment 20% 2 years ago still 17%. Main industry farming, average income $31,000 per HOUSEHOLD.
    Sandusky Mi Population under 2,000 have lost over 800 people to moves in the last 4 years , the next nearest city, 15 miles Marlette POP less than 1,000 , 18 miles Brown City Pop under 2,000
    Largest employers Farming operations.

Price of deer head at my studio in Sandusky 595 for flat 650 wall pedestal.
    Making a decent living doing what I was born to do.....Priceless.

See even a rock can learn new things....

6. cht

cht New Member

I am going to raise my price to $68,179 per deer and hope to do one hell of a job on just one customers deer a year. Might even consider doing a moose for $89,342 to make ends meet. See ya in the free cheese line.

7. Looks like you and i live and about the same kind of place.
    i recon your right about the rock thing, grrrrr that was hard.

8. lol dont forget you will get a free phone to with 250 min. free house rent, and all the food you can put in a buggy. you might even be better off.

9. *

you should see then line up for the free cheese on Thursday here at the community center.... ;D
    the line of cars is three wide and out to the street and around the corner. ;D

10. How long you recon that line would be if that cheese was Limburger cheese. Man that has got to be the stinkiest stuff on the planet.

11. cht

cht New Member

I can almost hear you laughing from here! LMAO

12. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Count me in plus the Master of Masters at the World Championships a few years back is in my locale and he's only getting 450.Whats wrong with this picture and he sure as hell isnt dumer than a rock.Greed ruined Detroit.Kinda wondering if the taxpayers will bail out the Taxidermy industry.

13. *

NO UNIONS RUINED DETROIT and GM should have been left to fail.
    Some of my clients work at Wall Mart and local businesses and make 8-10 an hour
    If you have what they want they will pay for it and find a way to do it.
    The biggest driving force to taxidermists lowballing and not raising prices to LIVE is FEAR.
    No risk , No reward.
    I left Reno 9 years ago with No Clients, No Home, No Shop, No Job, And 500 bucks in my pocket.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I think it's funny people keep talking about not being able to charge more thanbig competition winners. I've never entered a whitetail in a competition in my life, yet I was $75 higher (according to him) than a local competitor and he was part of a mount that won the Combined Artist's Championship.

99.9% of the public doesn't even know what the hell a Taxidermy competition is, nor do they care. Many Taxidermists use their competition experience as a sales pitch, I use my not competing as one. It's about MARKETING YOURSELF AND YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really can't believe that this industrys pricing has come down to what award you've won! LMAO Is that what's being learned through state and national associations?? Oh good grief....some of these winners can't even mount a good commercial deer cause they have to have 20 hours on a damn deer.

15. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yes sir Mike, marketing yourself and your work is what it's all about. I have a guy about 10 minutes from me and he can't believe what I charge for a wt. Being 125.00 higher than his, my clients(and some of his) see what they are getting for their hard earned money. I haven't updated my pricing on my site in a few years due to all the guys basing their prices on mine and under cutting me just to get the work in. I am thinking about taking it off my site and let them figure it out on their own!(LOL) I have raised my prices considerably over the last few years and I have more work than ever before.Market and sell yourself, not only your work, but you as a professional will do wonders in bringing the work in.

16. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Those people are not your customers...at least they should not be the customers you are trying to serve. You need to find the customers that will pay what you want to charge. I hear all these excuses from folks who know they need to charge more, but refuse to do so. It all boils down to fear. You even said that you were afraid you would not be able to pay your bills. Here's a little tip for you to chew on. I don't know anyone who is "successful" at anything that was unwilling to take a big risk. You can look back at the end of your life and say that you played it safer or you can choose to take a risk. I don't know a single taxidermist that provided good customer service and did quality work that ever had to go out of business because he raised his prices. I do know plenty who went out of business because they would not raise prices and could not afford to feed their families.

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I live in a very small town and most of my business does not come from here, Houstonians are my biggest clientell and they drive a 100 miles to use me. Austin is a good client base although I am competing with over a 100 (yes.... OVER A 100) other Taxidermists in the Texas Hill Country. Austin is a 65 mike drive to the city limit sign.

So yes, I would or will charge higher prices in thar scenario...... I cannot afford not to.

18. roundyracer

One more time,I dont disagree with price raiseing,for sure most occupations are overpaid as to what they do.Anybody can stand on a assembly line and repeat themselves or use GPS and or a map and deliver for a few examples.Yes my Heat and air man plus terd jerker gets $75 to show up.Fingerhut charges a restocking fee when they screw up.My challenge is move right in here and throw your 650 and up price on a shoulder mount and you will starve.One Taxidermist here got 800 for a black bear a few years back.That was a relative of mine and he hung the dam phone up when I made the quote.If you are makeing it why the bitching.You apparently are in business and successfull.If not why not do something elese like one prominent artist stated on another price war topic a short time ago.Still no ducks fish African or any other income has been mentioned.Its just about part timers and lowballers.I guess now teachers, police and even our soldiers shouldnt work part time.Greed has ruined this country and working on the world.What makes you think all of us dont feel the pinch?I love the 1800 plus a month house payments.I raised 5 kids in a 2 bedroom home makeing 5 an hour and others over 15.I got a school teacher and 3 more with college behind them.All 5 graduated from the same High School.How we managed I dont know.Maybe living beyond our means wasnt in the picture.Does paying the dues to support NTA and State Assocs not count in support of the Industry?Look around we cant even agree on how the NTA is managed.Im thinking a Taxidermy assoc for part timers and hire Hoffa or the Godfarther with a Drug cartel leader to head the program.I appreciate what I do have and the business.Remembering when I had a job and Taxidermy was a sideline before retirement a many a time that mount put groceries on the table.Thanks to all of you who teach us with your knowledge of the art including business sense whether we agree or not.

19. *

This all comes down to one thing...
    If your not making enough doing taxidermy get out of the business get a different job or give yourself a raise by increasing prices.
    roundyracer you sound like a speech writer for the Obamma administration, it's Bush's fault.

It's not someone else's fault it's your own.
    If I were a part timer I'd be higher in price than I am now.
    After working my 40 a week at my job that pays the bills, I'd be on overtime doing taxidermy.

20. roundyracer

Fellow Im not a speech writer for anyone but myself.Now you wanna be a keyboard Ninja,go ahead.Im entitled to my opinion.When you get personel Im a believer you are stepping over the line.Part time full time low baller trailer park or whatever some of you choose to call others here just doesnt cut it with me.im not wet behind the ears so piss on somebodys elese's stump if you cant be civil.