1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Not trying to start a fight, but honestly, how do they do it?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., Apr 26, 2012.

1. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Wether you're talking about me or not it doesn't matter. The fact is that nobody was trying to cram anything down anybody's throat. All anyone was doing was explaining simple things like expenses and if you do the math it really doesn't make sense to do a deer for $350. You go from Gross to Gross Profit to Net Profit to Payroll to taxes to net pay. Everytime that all of these things are mentioned it seems that the ones that don't understand these simple accounting terms fly off the handle and think that someone is cramming accountanting down their throats. Why don't some of you guys pay attention instead of being defensive about everything. The way to go about all of this is to first listen, then understand, then ask questions, then apply. Most of you can't get by the first step, LISTEN. The ones that do definitely can't get past the second step, UNDERSTAND. Steps three and four are mute..... Just as Kerby pointed out;

2. NO beer ?

3. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

Glenn, my last post was in reply to gab. Of course we can have a beer!!! Maybe 6 or 8!! I don't think that we can have it in Arkansas though......but then again, we might!!!!!

4. This conversation never gets old. Keep in mind guys that are charging $800. are looking at the guys charging $600 and thinking the same as the $600 guys are thinking about the $400. guys. Its all relative to what you want to or need to make. The Yugo comment is a great example because there is a market for about all price ranges. just as a guy may start out buying a yugo if that doesn't work out for him he will change and go in a different direction the next time or he will be happy and stay with what works for him.

5. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I guess i'm turning my dog loose and getting in the hunt. I flesh for around 10-11 taxi's, and the majority are $350- or less. There is
    only 2 guy's above $400-. This is the first year ive heard anybody complain and that is all about the shipping issues. The 2 $400 + guy's
    are the only one's that are full time and mount everything, the other's only do deerhead's. Like ive stated before the cheaper guy's
    all have other job's that pay the utilities. Ive seen alot of work put out and the pricing seem's to go with the work. Around here ive
    heard people complain about paying $400 for a deer. They say their not paying it, because it's almost as much as my house payment,
    some do but the majority do not. One of the full timer's has a hunt club from PA that bring's him around 10-12 deer a year to mount
    and they say the same thing, there not paying $5-600 to get a deer mounted back home. If your satisfied with what you charge, you
    only have to suit yourself nobody else.

6. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

(Price depends on LOCATION!!!)I have 2 shops and getting ready to open the 3rd in Iowa this Year.BIGGER ISNT Always BETTER!!Having Employees and enourmus overhead can be STRESSFUL!!However I Enjoy and Love the day to day challenges and also meeting new clients and making lifelong friendships! I know numerous WORLD and NATIONAL TITLE WINNERS that cant get 550.00 for their work! Taxidermist are not the problem with prices!!Its the CLIENTS!!!You have to remember TAXIDERMY IS A LUXURY!!!! It amazes me what people will pay to go sightseeing on a over priced hunt, but when it comes to paying their Taxidermy bill they want a deal or always trying to beat you down on Price.If YOU are HEAD Hunting,The most important part is the taxidermy not the HUNT!!Most people that piss and moan about your prices are usually the Upper wage earners.(and Vote REPUBLICAN)Just remember if they drive a nicer truck than you,and go on more expensive hunts then you, they can afford to pay your price!! If you want to be a successfull TAXIDERMIST You have to be FIRM and CONSISTENT!!!

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Smittysinc..... how many republicans do you know trying to ban guns and hunting?

8. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Did someone say beer?

9. smittysinc

smittysinc New Member

I just had to throw that one in!!However in my area The Republicans are more Liberal than the Democrats.We have had to fight the Republicans more than the Democrats over High Fence Hunting.The Republicans introduced a bill to close High Fence Hunting here in Mn and we beat the bill out with Democrat votes,It doesnt matter anymore who gets elected.Democrat or Republican.Its all about money and greed! As long as the cash is green and the checks are good I could care less if you are a Republican or Democrat!!

10. nickstax

nickstax New Member

well i guess i'm greedy and republican. also i love money and don't agree with high fence hunting. to semi quote chuck yeager deer in a can. his statement about the first astronauts. spam in a can!

11. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Dennis

I guess I didn't say what I was trying to. I didn't mean that a guy that is fast should charge any less, I just think that someone that is slow feels they have to charge more just to get the job done and make money, and they think that anyone that is charging less can't possibly be making any money.

Time spent on a mount does not always equate to the quality of the end product or how much profit is made.

12. michael p.

Deer in a can LOL. Tell ya what, let them drop you off at some of these ranches in south Texas with one canteen of water and you will not get a refill till you shoot a particular deer in that 'can'. Chances are they will find your corpse before you find that deer!!!

I agree, and here in Texas we have some pretty conservative democrats also.... although that still sounds like an oxymoron to me ;)

13. Im going to jump in here on this one after reading threw this long winded ordeal.
    My thoughts maybe not yours........

We as taxidermists know what goes into taxidermy.Some cut corners.Some go the extra 100 miles to creat only 2nd to the original creator.

Some know their work will NOT deserve prices above what they already get.
    Some charge more then thier work is worth.
    Some know thier work should get more money,and do not charge accordingly.
    Some are were they should be.
    Some steadily increase their prices accordingly.

To sum it all up try and get as much as you possibley can for your work.

Do NOT price yourself out of buisness.(Were you will loose all your customers)

MOST IMPORTANT DO NOT CUT YOURSELF SHORT, AND CUT YOUR OWN THROAT.

etc......etc......etc.......

14. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Some wont get it.

15. gab

gab Active Member

just because someone is small or lower priced doesn't mean he's new.We all know when to follow our gut when it's time to raise prices,it's when production seems to be the same but the check book doesn't seem to be growing as usual.I just went up $50 on gameheads.the guy up the road will go up too so we will still be $200-250 apart so I'll still be the lowballer.

16. What am I not getting?

17. gab

gab Active Member

i guess we're not getting that all us little guys not charging as much as the other guys are idiots.

18. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Jason.you got it.That is a good summary.I was refering to the some didnt get it from another who disagreed with the opposite.

19. JE

JE Well-Known Member

No one has mentioned the fact that A LOT has to do with how each individual spends the money he earns and leads his own lifestyle.
    Two people can do the same amount of work, and make the same amount of money each year, yet one would go belly up and the other would thrive.
    What one person sees as a necessity in life, another may see as a luxury.
    All too often it is put down to pricing or bad business management, while all along the owner has been squandering his earnings. If you are not making enough money to drive a Ferrari, you can not buy one ! yet some do just that regardless of the consequences .
    Bottom line, we are all individuals.
    John

20. michael p.

Jimmy Buffet said it all in 'A Pirate Looks At 40'....... "I've made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast"