1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Full Time vs Part Time

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Wildside, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

What is a "full time" taxidermist.

Full time used to be a 40 hour work week. If someone works two 40 hour per week jobs, they are considered to work two full time jobs. Why is it that our industry looks at as only full time if it your only source of income? I may put in more hours in my taxidermy business in a year than my "regular" job.

Food for thought.
  2. Bighunter4x4

Bighunter4x4 New Member

You're a rare breed. I would say you are definitely a full timer for sure.

3. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Kyle - Youve been over and know that it is every night, every weekend, holidays and vacation.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

To me, full time would mean that taxidermy is the only source of your income. I work full-time in my shop, but really I can't consider myself a full-time taxidermist because I have income from other places...pension, rent, etc. I have a great appreciation to someone who derives their livelihood solely from taxidermy. There have to be periods of severe cash flow problems. I have a helluva business, but at the end of the year, the net income don't look too great. I'd be below the poverty level living on it as my sole income.
  5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

**If someone works two 40 hour per week jobs, they are considered "".......

A fool.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

The law of the State says 40 hours a week is full time employment, how ever, the Agricultural industry doesn't have to abide by the 40 hour rule. A farmer doesn't have to pay overtime to his farm hands. If you were in sales, selling cars for a commission, then hours means nothing, and part of taxidermy is nothing but sales. You sell your self, your service, your skills, hours means nothing in taxidermy, unless you punch a clock when you walk in the door, and when you walk out. So I would say that full time is 40 hours or more a week.
  7. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Its my second shift full time job.
  8. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I am just like you are, I work approx 45 hrs a week at my day job and pretty close to 40 a week in my shop. I have been doing it for 10 years now.

All people are different, Kerby apparently wouldn't do it, and probably not too many people would. Some would call us fools, retards, ETC. Oh well, I do it because I want to not because I have to.

I can't go home and sit on the couch, I have to be busy to be happy. after 10 years I still enjoy going out and working in my shop.

As far as doing it for a living, I can't see that ever being possible for me. I take in over 100 Deer every year, as well as many other mounts and that keeps me pretty busy, and I know what I made profit this year, and it's pretty sad. I know my prices are low, and I have been steadily raising them and will continue to, but I would have to triple them to make enough to even get by.

I could adjust my lifestyle, but I don't want to. I work so I can have things and do things for me and my family. Not spend as little as possible so I can make enough not to starve. That is no life as far as I'm concerned.
  9. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

It's nice to see someone speaking the truth about taxidermy income. I'll bet there aren't many one man shops that show more than $30,000.00 on line 31, Schedule C. I recently talked to a very well respected member of this forum, that said his BEST year (out of 12) was $17K.....line 31 Schedule C. McDonald's pays better. Another well known forum member grossed over $200K, but only netted 40K. That is a shop with a couple employees. The truth can be very ugly. I know some shops are making excellent income, but it is the exception, and not the rule.
  10. ANDY

ANDY Active Member

You 40/40 guy's need to have a seminar on how to spend time with your family and stay married while doing both. The guy's i know trying to
    do this have been married and divorced 2 or 3 time's.
  11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I do some wholesale work for a few full time taxidermists. It isn't unusual to receive a check and be told to hold it til I get a call from them that it will go through the bank. None of them are driving new Cadillacs.
  12. damonkus

damonkus Member

13. damonkus

damonkus Member

14. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

For sure the truth.Never have forgotten what the ex said one time.Is this all you do work 7 days a week mounting while others are hunting and fishing?One of my areas forefarthers of Taxidermy told me he has bought the same house 3 times,including shop.Go Figure!
  15. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

You know how I work. I had a 40 hr a week job too. But I got up at 6 am did a little in the shop then off to work. Home at 5pm. Said hi to my wife while eating dinner, then out to the shop till 3 or 4 am. Couple hours sleep and do it again the next day. Weekends I slept in till 7am. I never seen my wife. I decided to go solo with taxidermy. Its a hard way to make a living, but god I love it. Plus I get to see my wife. I even went fishing 3 times last year. Sure I miss the money I had then and knowing for sure I had a paycheck every week. Thing is I did what I needed to do to be able to live on what I can make with this one job.
  16. davehyer

davehyer New Member

I have been married 27years. Four children all through college or almost through. I married a good woman and I make sure that I let her know that often.
  17. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

No argument.It is ashame the wages of Taxidermist regardless full or part time.
  18. Harry Whitehead

Harry Whitehead I love to hunt Buffalos!!!!!

I don't understand how someone can not realize that wages are determined by pricing. Look at the michaelp post on pricing...... good luck!
  19. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

This post was just asking what constitutes full-time employment. Nothing to do with wages, marital status or state of mind.

Someone working two jobs is not uncommon. So when one works extra hours in a shop for overtime, do you tell them they should not do it or they will ruin their marriage and they are a "fool". Not hardly!

A simple definition was all I asked for.

The reason for this was the smple impression people have of your business if they consider you "part-time". Some day I will only do taxidermy on a daily basis.
  20. I am a full time daddy, and then a full time taxidermist.Not going to say I have two jobs because only one payes for everything money wise,and the other only pays everything money cannot buy.