1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hello and Question on a WT form?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SWIFFY, Apr 27, 2012.

1. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

Hi everyone! I just joined the site and have really enjoyed looking at everyones stuff. Looks like a great bunch of people here with a wealth of knowledge, and not affraid to share it! Lots of AMAZING artists! Cant wait to contribute my little bit!

Anyways, I only do a few heads a year usually of my own stuff. This year i've got a big WI buck to do of mine. Its an 8 X 25 and im curious if these big bodied northern deer fit well on the Mears forms and/or Coombs forms, etc.... Ive usually used McKenzie or Meder. Id like to try a Mears Wall Ped. but im scared the form will come and look like a little deer with a big swell?!?!

Do you guys find the BIG forms made by southern companies are a good fit to BIG bodied northern deer?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks for the advice....

SWIFFY

2. You can't go wrong with either, but Mears would be my choice in most cases. They have that mature deer look and you will be pleased with how they mount up.

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

If you want one of the best fitting forms for that deer I would highly suggest a Matuska competators choice form. It will fit that deer like a glove. Not saying there isn't other good forms out there for big northern deer like some of the mears and a couple others but knowing who sculpted the CC's and that they were sculpted from our deer and having mounted all my normal shoulder deer on their forms the last few years you won't go wrong with using the CC forms on midwest deer. Between me and Clint Ricky on here you can find alot of pics of deer we have mounted on the CC's.

4. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Revolution Taxidermy supply is good as well. Here's one I just finished up 8 x 25 ..... Also they are located in Hayward WI. I think they can ship by Speedy saving you some serious Jack.

Attached Files:

5. Steven Klee

Attached Files:

6. I've tried lots of them out there and you can not go wrong with Ben Mears forms. Try them and you will buy more.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. X 2

8. Beautiful Steve !!!! Thanks for the chat,beleave it or not I learned alot in that little bit of time.

9. The mears ped would be my choice. The 25" wall ped with the 8" Mears Canadian change out head should provide what your looking for.

10. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

1st off thank for all the replys!

You guys arent saying much about the Coombs forms... just the Mears. Do the Coombs forms not fit the Northern deer as well? I seen a guy in another post just did a Coombs on a ceder stump ped. and thats actually the form I was thinking of using because I like that hard upright turn... not a Mears... my bad! Its good to hear the Mears fit nice though.

Thanks again! Its great to get so much good input so fast!

11. The larger coombs forms work good to. I just mounted a pesonal deer from IL with a 26" neck on the 9500 series, is a favorite wall ped for me. You will like it as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. I use a lot of Coombs forms on our MN deer. They have a northern series in the semi upright. 7-7324/25 and 5-7324/25 if I remember right Plus I use of lot of the wall peds. I don't like how open the nostril is on the Coombs forms. I always fix it to my liking.

Bruce

13. Steven Klee

NICE MOUNT Dennis !!

14. Thanks Steven, appreciate that.

15. That is a dandy Dennis !!!