1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Research Mannikins foam kits " not happy"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Glass eye, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Glass eye

Glass eye New Member

I've been buying gal foam from Research for decades now. In the begining both A&B were in metal containers, now both are in plastic jugs and every time my shop is above 70* degrees the "B" jug burst' a seam and it leaks out all over the place. Besides the financial loss it's a nasty mess to clean.
    Anyone else have this problem ?
    If so we should collectively call and maybe change this mess.

2. call u.s. composites and order...cheaper priced than anywhere ive seen and just for you, they have metal cans.....any pound density under the sun as well.

3. Keith

Keith Active Member

Never had a problem with the plastic containers from Mckenzie, and the temperature is all over the map in the shop where I work.

I would just crack the seal of the container enough to allow air exchange with the fluctuating temperature.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You need to call Mark McClean and tell THEM. A polyethylene container is affected by the resin, turns brittle and cracks. Polyurethane containers don't and work MUCH better than metal.

5. I got my foam from research stored in my 12x12 dry room that I keep at 65-70 degrees and have never had a problem . I sue the foam quite a bit though so maby thats why??

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Active Member

I MUCH prefer the plastic jugs and I've never had a problem with them. If they are building up enough pressure to split than I suspect that your resin got contaminated somehow. All it takes is too much moisture. Topping each jug off with some circuit cleaner (that spray air in a can) will make your resin last longer.

I quit ordering foam from Research for a couple of years because of those stupid metal cans that they used to have. In fact, I still have the special socket wrench that I had to buy to open that blasted black can! Never again ...

7. George

I don't think it's the temperature. Like Nancy, McKenzie used to use those silly assed metal cans and they were good for ONE use. Then it took a pipe wrench to get the cap off. When they acquired Noonkester, I guess they liked his idea of heavy polyurethane jugs and now all it takes is to wipe off the mouth and the lids come off by hand.

In FACT, that's how I found out about the poly used. I went to the Dollar Store and bought a plastic water jug to transfer the foam out of those metal cans. within a few days, I had foam seeping out splits in the jugs. I grabbed an empty Clorox bottle and poured it into that and it never leaked again. If you get your foam in metal containers, do NOT use milk jugs or the thin polystyrene crap. Use the thicker poly urethane jugs like they use for anti-freeze, Clorox, or liquid soap.

8. George i had what he talking about happen one time. If was in a clear plastic container . what happened it built up so much pressure in side the seam cracked open on the bottom. There was so much pressure that had built up the jug would not sit up straight it was bowed outwards. i lost about half of A i think the clearer one. I dont know what type of jug it was George it was clear more like a jug of protal oil or safety pickle comes in.

9. I hated and cursed those darn metal containers too!!! Plastic jugs MUCH better!

10. Glass eye

Glass eye New Member

Exactly, it was the clear plastic. The light colored is "B . I've had no problems with McKenzies plastic jugs but I like the density of Research's foam better.

11. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I still have.....

I still have 2 cans of that the 2-part foam out in a shed......15 years ago? Never threw them away although I buy foam every year (now in plastic containers). I keep threatening to open them up (somehow) and see what is still inside?

:)

Kerby...

12. George

Look guys, I'm not trying to frustrate myself OR you guys, but you need some basic chemistry here. NO CLEAR CONTAINER WILL WORK. Unless it's WHITE, it won't work. The white jugs are polyurethane. You can buy chainsaw oil, peroxide, sulfuric acid, and Clorox in the "correct" type bottle.

13. Hmmm, mine are not white but they are working somehow LOL! They both hold the foam just fine, the foam poors out just fine. The cap screws on perfectly , and they have not split :p

14. I can't remember which supply co. I got mine from, the last two kits I used were and are in clear plastic galllon jugs. No problems.

15. For the past 10 years or more I've always poured my two part foam into laudry detergent bottles (wisk or whatever) because it's easier to pour with the spout. Not that it matters but it works for me. I got sick of using a pipe wrench to open the crap up.

16. M.Magis

M.Magis New Member

Just a couple corrections regarding plastic. Polyethylene is very resistant to almost anything you can out on it, resin is not deteriorating PE bottles. Clorox bottles are in fact PE, not polyurethane. I’m not positive, but I don’t think polyurethane use used much at all for bottles, other than some lab type products. Color really doesn’t mean anything, as most resins come in a variety of colors, as well as “clear”.
    PVC could be the culprit, as there are a lot of cheap bottles made from PVC, and it’s not nearly as chemical resistant as PE. Most bottles should have a recycle code on them, which will tell you what material they are.

17. George

THANK YOU. I had the gnawing feeling I was screwing up the composition of the bottles. I couldn't find my US Plastics catalog. Thanks again.

18. M.Magis

M.Magis New Member

No problem. It’s not often I can offer much help here. Figured I’d better take any chance I can. :D

19. Glass eye

Glass eye New Member

#2 inside the recycle symbol and HDPE below that.

20. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

I just put some vasoline on the metal cans caps and threads and just snug it up never crank it shut. it never been hard to open, I still like the plastic type jugs better. just because I can see inside it as I pour. but it's really not that important, to me it's all about the price and pound foam I'm getting. maybe this will help solve the lid problem, if you do get a metal container again.