1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another one finished and ready for delivery

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Apr 28, 2012.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Finished this one this morning and am on the road to the owners ranch now

[​IMG]

Delivered this one last night

[​IMG]

Might have to hire me a partime finisher next year, the pace is killing me! LOL :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Nice as usual !!!

3. BigER

BigER New Member

Nice! Just curious, how many of those do you do on average a year?

4. michael p.

Not many, I'm just a small 1 man shop. Last year I did 12 longhorns, 3 being shoulder mounts and 7 elk. I have a few more elk this year and am on pace to do quote a few more longhorn shoulders than 2011.

It just keeps getting bigger and better every year, but I may have to make some changes come January 2013..........i'm lazy and this is starting to cut into my traveling, fishing & hunting time :(

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Train a full time finisher, you'll double your productivity, you stay on the mounting stand, he helps sew and finish.
    You will NOT be disappointed that you do this...
    D

6. michael p.

Dennis, that is EXACTLY what I have been considering. Miranda had talked to me about hiring another Taxidermist. I told her no way Jose. I'd take 1 good finisher over 3 good taxidermists!

7. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Find an art student, seriously , a real artist , Jamie had NO background or Experience in taxidermy at all. He is a good true flat artist, any artist can do finishing of this stuff, if they have airbrush skills all the better.
    No bad habits to break and no ego to deal with....LOL

8. michael p.

I'm gonna talk with you later in Nay, I've already got more business than I've ever had, I have everything already tanned and ready to mount, im thinking 'great! I can get this stuff knocked out and take off a few weeks off to enjoy our new place' but now I have a guy shipping me about $15,000 in African work and I'm thinking 'great???' LOL Not that I don't want the business, I'm just not gonna spend my life in that studio, that kills people. Give me a good finisher, I can knock the dang work out!

I'm just trying to figure out the best compensation.

9. michael p.

May, not nay LOL

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I'm with you Mike. I would rather be knocking them out than doing the slow finish work. It is great that you have grown to a point where finishing is a slow down and in the way.

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Are you getting any steaks out of all those longhorns?

12. michael p.

Yes! The one in the first picture was healthy, but old, so they wanted to put it down. I had them drop it off at the holding pens and then took it to the processor. He said not to cut the steaks, to make it all into hamburger, which I did. I had him cut out the tenderloins though and they were the most tender I have ever ate! Wish now I would have saved the ribeyes.

On the other 2, one already had buzzards on him which had ate out the anus and eyes before the guy found him....was just NASTY! LOL But my tanner made a GREAT save and the other one in this batch was sick so he became coyote and buzzard food.

Here is one of the freezers we filled up with hamburger meat! We had another slightly smaller full also.
    [​IMG]

13. chadleek

chadleek New Member

It sure doesn't sound like you're lazy to me. Sounds like you pound out some hours in the shop!

14. TyW

TyW Member

I will work for you Michael p.... I will work for burger and ribeyes......
    Your buddy
    Ty Weaver

15. michael p.

Ty, you know you are welcome anytime you want to come over!

Chad, trust me, i'm lazy. If I could spend my life with a fishing pole in the water I would. Fortunately I love what I do so it makes 'having to work' a little easier.........but I wish I was laid up on a river bank or sitting out in the gulf fishing.

I just happen to have a lazy mans dream job, cause yeah it's a lot of work, but as I said before, love darn near every second of it :)

16. I think being a finisher would be such a sweet job. :-*

17. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I think I would rather hire a mounter and do the finishing myself, if I were ever to be in that position. Why do the grunt work and let the paid help get the satisfaction part?

18. michael p.

2 reasons. It takes a VERY special person to do finishing work...... and number 2, if you've seen some of the crap I've had to deal with and my friends had to deal with.... the mounting is the easy part.

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I will just trust you on that point.

20. Ron1949

Ron1949 Member

How many whitetail deer do you do a year?