1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

i thought i was to cheap this guy is at $7.50 a inch and $9.50 for trout & samon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by tracy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. tracy

tracy coon dogs

:eek: :eek:
    www.joesmithtaxidermy.com

he is in my area with in 30 miles
    not sure what every one else is at
    also says award winning but he told me years ago he had never competed so not sure what that means
    only has 1 fish on his web site if he is still at that level i guess that is why he is at that price
    sorry same old sh&$ i just had to vent
    this is the first year i am licensed and can take on work for $ but i feel i been long over do
    after years of competition and tips and others wanting me to do work for them
    i do feel my work is better than his on fish and it is all about fish for me that is my love of this art
    i do other work but my heart is with the fish but don,t think i will go any lower than $13 per inch and think that is to cheap
    time wise and work i take to much pride in my work and take my time to do it the best i can
    i feel better now thanks
    was just at the store and seen his ad posted that life ;D ;D

2. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

thats the way it goes sometimes

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

He must be doing something right
    Looks like he is doing well

I will say that working smarter than working harder
    Makes money

4. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've charged 8.00 per inch on all fish since 9/11/01, have never raised my price. Around here, a lot of people lost their jobs and didn't have a lot of money. That and having 13 licensed taxis in my county, I had to do what I could do. I've been mounting fish for over fourty years and feel they are my money maker. I know that many guys on here disagree with my drying time, but that's just an ignorance of the technique. If I'm doing 120 inches of fish a week, that's almost a grand a week. I have very little overhead, nearly nothing. It works for me! It's a classic example of disproving the "you get what you pay for" statement. I would put my fish up against any fish around and come out on top, ther's no doubt in my mind.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

M.T. ......

M.T. you can be the braggort all you want.....all we are asking is for you to elaborate on your drying technique and to see some pics of your work.

Now what harm would that be?

Are you afraid of something?

:)

Kerby...

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Let's see some pics. 3rd time I've asked. I think you are FOS

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Ok I will bite
    MT what is this drying time issue?
    Not being a smart a$$, just courious

Carl

8. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

O.K, I'll try to figure out how to put some pictures on this thing, right now I'm painting my living room with my wife, and then I have to go to work at 10:30, I'll try to put something up tomorrow, I have no problem showing any of my work.Kerby, I'm not bragging, I just simply state that while you guys are waiting for thousands of dollars to dry, I've just made that thousand dollars and am onto the next. I know it all works out in the end, but I like it all to work out in a hurry. I'll post some pictures.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Please do show some pics. M.T. As I stated in another thread, I plan ahead, when my fish are air drying, I am busy on other things. Air drying costs me nothing. I personally never said it was impossible, just unlikely to turn out a quality skin mount in 24 hours. Key word being quality. Prove us wrong. 3bears

10. JE

JE Active Member

OK, I must be missing something here, when you say that "we" are "waiting for thousands of dollars to dry " what do you mean ? Why would "we" mount a fish, then SIT AND WAIT for it to dry ? while that fish is drying, you do another, once the production line is on going, then a fish comes off the end of the line every day, (or whatever work rate the person is working at) RIGHT OR WRONG ? so "WE" could have a fish finished every day and ready to send out, just the same as you. "WE" may also only have actually 24 hours invested in a fish, only that time is spread over many days or weeks. BUT A FISH COULD BE READY EVERY 24 HOURS.
    So HOW does a quick drying method help make you money ? (apart from the initial week or so start up period)
    I must be thick or something, because I just don't see it.
    John

11. roundyracer

roundyracer been to the mountain and seen the elephant.usmc 68

Sheep Dip and the treading ended.I thought Id learn something elese.For sure dont let those guys on price wars see those figures.You will be hung out wet.

12. Perca

Perca Active Member

[​IMG]

13. JE

JE Active Member

Perca, you must be some size now due to the amount of pop corn you eat LOL
    John

14. tracy

tracy coon dogs

i could paint like archie Phillips and put out fast work
    to me that may pay for your time that way
    but it is not how fast i can do it
    it is how can i do it and it look the best it can be
    and pay for my time
    did any one look at this guys web site and see the striped bass on there ???
    from what i can see of it look mounted and not painted
    i charge more and have got his old clients fish in my work room now
    so i must be doing some thing right to charge almost double what he is and still get them to come to me
    like i said this is the first year i have been open to the public but the word of mouth of my work has brought be new work for others
    and i just see my time worth more than $7.50 a inch
    and just posted this to vent some and see what others get in INDIANA :eek:

15. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

25 Years ago I had a fish mounted by a local taxidermist. Guess what the price was back then? --- $7.50 an inch. Taxidermy is the only business where inflation is a myth. Except for our local thrift shop.

16. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've been trying to post some pictures but it keeps telling me my file is to large. It's simple 3bears and JE, you are right, other than start up time, there is no difference in finished product. I believe I stated that earlier. I'm no dipchit! Not only do I mount personal fish for clients, but I also sell mounted fish to clients. If someone wanted to buy a mounted 20 inch bass, then I would start on it today and finish it tomorrow, bam, 160 bucks in my pocket tomorrow. It works for me, I've been doing it for many many years. Are these fish "competition" style, NO, are they as nice as any other mounts around, YES! I'll keep trying to post some pictures, MATT

17. aspenangler@hotmail.com

aspenangler@hotmail.com B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

marking

18. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

These are some fish that I throww together and sell for 8 bucks an inch.

Attached Files:

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

More, the brook trout took a little longer.

Attached Files:

20. And for most customers they look just fine or M.T. would have been out of business a long time ago.