1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hey Fishheads - Interesting calls for information

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by timwilly, Apr 29, 2012.

1. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

Guys I don't mount fish for clients. I've done several of my own and family members, but they just aren't on my taxidermy brochure because I never got many requests to do them.

So anyway, I've gotten 4 calls this year about trout here in PA. First off I tell them I don't do fish and point them to this site to find someone who does.
    Most guys ask what a fish cost per inch. ALL FOUR CALLERS SAID 12.50 AN INCH WAS JUST ROBBERY AND THERE IS NO WAY A 24 INCH TROUT IS
    WORTH THAT MUCH. I explained to callers that it was the average rate and some are allot higher than that.

I just thought it was interesting and worth passing along. That's four mounts that someone could have gotten if the prices were just a little lower.
    Trust me I'm laughing, that's four clients that no one needs anyway. I've been a taxidermist for close to 30 years.

I understand the price scale, the reasons why the price is what it is.......but I think the general public (at least the 4 callers) are under the impression
    that a fish shouldn't cost more than 10.00 an inch. One caller actually said he laughed aloud and hung up on another taxidermist who quoted him
    $12.50 an inch.

Again, just passing along some information I thought was worth passing along for you fish guys. Food for thought.

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I charge 8 bucks an inch and if I was a customer, there is no fish worth over that. That is just my opinion. I can't imagine paying much more than 300 bucks for a deerhead. I dont buy new cars or trucks, cant imagine paying that much. I realize that someone has to buy those vehicles new and sell them when they are just a few years old to a guy like me for a small fraction of what they cost new. I also think that mechanic prices are way out of this world. I also think that tipping a waitress as much as some of these people do is totally outragious. Why should I buy a ten dollar meal and pay someone 3 bucks to bring it to me? It's Crazy, it's their job!

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I give them my rate
    And if it seems like highway robbery, I wish them the best
    you can not please them all
    B t w
    I have received several tips for my work

4. J-Jay

J-Jay New Member

A waitress makes 2.13 - 3.13 an hour. Their job is giving service for tips. The very thought of compairing a 15% tip to taxidermy is ridiculous. If you can't affort to tip, you can't afford to eat at a full service restaurant.

The fact of the matter when it comes to pricing is like any other business venture. Location, local economy, availability of supplies at lower costs, and competition are at the very least what drives the ability to set your cost. No one here can charge the same price as everyone else for these reasons. For instance, in a 90 mile radius from me there are 3 fish taxidermists. One charges $8.00, another charges $12.50, and the other will try to beat the rest in their price with every fish. The only way to get the business from the lowest bidder at a price that is worth the time to put quality into your fish is to be the best in your area period. Even then you can't take all of the business because of the financial crap hole most people are in right now. With the economy in the can, being flexible without putting yourself into the red is going to be paramount in survival. This simply means one must have a solid business plan with 1, 2 and 5 year goals etc. Having some flexibility without strapping a bomb with a lit fuse to your business plan along with quality that can not be refuted is the way. To think that one will get the same price for an inch on every single fish is lofty at the very least.

Edit: The above is not necessarily true for the fish head with a solid client list. Obviously this will not be the case for some of the more stable and time tested artists in here.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sounds like you have cheap assed customers. I could care less what the customer is willing to pay. If he wants ME to mount his fish, he pays $15 an inch. That's half what my fishhead friends charge. I offer a service to them. They're not obligated to use me and I'm not obligated to work for peanuts.

6. Hi George,hope all is well.I was just wondering if you ever post anything you do,I would love to see a fish and deer mount !!
    Ron

7. Clew

York, SC
    Hey George
    You hit the nail on the head
    As far as what George can do
    http://www.whitetaildesignersystems.com/DelawareTaxidermist.html
    See for your self
    George can come across really abrupt at times but I respect his and many others opinion on here.
    I think every one on here has something to offer

Carl

8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

...but I'm only a part-timer! I can't possibly charge as much as the Full-time shops. Here's my rates - take it or leave it: Bass-Bream-Crappie: $15.00 in, Trout,Salmon,Saltwater: $18.00 inch, Pedestal: $23.00 inch (both sides), minimum charge $225.00. Repair work - shop rate $45.00 an hour (Doing a Striper Repro repair for the Cachuma Lake Marina, seems they dropped it and tore up a couple of fins, 3hrs X $45). Sure, I live out West, in California no less - they pay more? It's all about promotion. If I can't make a profit why do it? If I don't get all the work they call about, that's OK by me. Joe

Attached Files:

9. Clew

York, SC
    Socalmout

I here you
    I do it part time as well
    If I can't make my moneY for my time
    I'm going fishing

10. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I get out to Lake Cachuma quite often but I realize now that I gotta leave the Mrs. at home. Every time I bring her she gets the biggest fish. On Saturday the 22nd she caught two 2.5lb and two 4lb trout. The expert fisherman/taxidermist caught ONE trout less than a pond! Go figure. Joe

Attached Files:

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Around here when I was a kid I remember the going rate for some of the better taxidermists was $5 or $6 bucks an inch. Thirty five years later at $12.50 an inch SHOULD be a STEAL! Think about it. With inflation, EVERYTHING has gone up much more than that. I remember gas being about .50 cents a gallon. I could care less if these people think my prices are too high. Let them go to the hacks and then I'll get the restore work down the road for TWICE what they would have paid me - lol!

M.T. You are one cheap dude!!! Have you ever visited the same restaurant more than once? You know what they say about messing or screwing people who serve your food! I wonder how many restaurant loogies you've swallowed thru the years??? LOL!

P.S. FYI, the going tip rate for excellent service in this decade is now 20% for all you cheapos out there!

12. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Tim just tell him to call me after he heres what I charge and get for fish he'll just have a heart attack and then there will be one less tire kicker! LOL! George is always the voice of reason as the wise sage! CAC is right on the money!

Rick

13. So it is a waitress job to wait on your sorry a$$ and not get paid for it? Most only make around 2-3 bucks an hour and rely on tips to make anything. You sir are uneducated white trash.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

That's interesting. I honestly thought after raising my fish, I would do less of them, but that is not the case. In fact I have more this year than ever before. Now, I am no where near some of you talented guys on here, but I am striving to produce a better fish. I have been pushing my repos and actually enjoy them now more than ever! I find myself studing fish almost as much as wts . I said almost!(LOL)

15. J-Jay

J-Jay New Member

I hear you all, and agree. Our problem here is that we are new and don't have a client list yet. So we have to compete to get jobs at this point. However, with the help of Rick we are now able to offer repro work as well which hopefully soon will give us an edge on the other 2 taxidermists in our area. I hope to some day soon be able to set a solid per inch and not feel bad about losing a job LOL.

I haven't yet seen any Florida fish heads in here. I would like to find some and compare pricing for the freshwater fish here.

16. JE

JE Well-Known Member

"That's four mounts that someone could have gotten if the prices were just a little lower."
    But if my overheads dictated that I need to charge more to make a decent living, then why should I do their mounts for less to save them money ?
    If I could not afford to shop somewhere, I would simply not go into that shop.
    John

17. "I haven't yet seen any Florida fish heads in here. I would like to find some and compare pricing for the freshwater fish here."

For some reason insert quote is not working.

There are a few Florida fishheads on here. I'm not going to mention names but if you Google Fish taxidermy, Sarasota Florida you will find one of the best IMO fish guys out there. His largemouth and smallmouth bass are incredible. All his fish are incredible. What's even more incredible is the price he charges. To look at his work you may assume he is a $25.00-30.00/inch guy. He's not even a $20.00/inch guy.

"we are now able to offer repro work as well which hopefully soon will give us an edge on the other 2 taxidermists in our area."

When it comes to replica work, it's a mail order business. Not only do you have to worry about the guy down the road you also have to worry about the guy across the country.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

"That's four mounts that someone could have gotten if the prices were just a little lower."

Only a taxidermist would say something that friggin stupid. I had one who charges $350 tell me last week he was lowering his prices to get more work in. I asked what he was talking about and he tells me that he needs more work to pay his bills.

I exploded. I told him that if he couldn't pay his bills, the last thing he needed was more WORK. I asked him if it had ever occurred to him that he really needed more INCOME.

You know what his tired assed reply was? "Well you can get $500 because you're established." Then it went to that even weaker excuse, "Well I can't get what you charge in my area." (He lives 20 miles from me and I have clients drive past him to get to me.)

Truth is you "can't get that in your area" because your work is so $hitty OR you're content being that low just so your freezers stay filled.

When I opened business, I did my homework. I set my prices $10 higher than the highest guy. He soon started chasing me and everytime he went up, I went $10 higher. Now- if you aren't the highest guy, which one of those two excuses fit you?

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Ouch taflinger, uneducated white trash? A little harsh aren't we?

20. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

any customer that complains should see just what goes into a quialty fish.then let him see how a hack dose it.ounce they see a true artist so a fish say the way Rick or a josh a randy dose a fish compaired to just useing the airbrush say the old john rienhart wat they would not complain.My sons friend said 10 dollars an in was crazy but he paid it he came and watched what went into doing a fish and then thought differently about the price.