1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How much to charge for life size gray fox

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by gray ghost, Apr 30, 2012.

1. gray ghost

gray ghost New Member

Im just wondering what others are charging to do a life size gray fox with a small habitat ??? I have 300.00 into it. Thanks!!!

2. retiredfulltimer

retiredfulltimer New Member

Idaho
    Do as many taxi's do and charge $300...............................I get $1,150, charge what you need to not what others charge. remember these words "people will have you work for free if you let them"

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Well, you have a third......

Well you have a third of your formula as you stated.

1) Cost to do the mount - you stated $300
    2) How many man-hours do you have in the piece?
    3) Your skill/talent has a worth above how many man hours you have in it.

So for example if you have 10 man hours (time to skin, flesh, salt, send to tannery, hide prep, mannikin prep, mounting, base work, finish work) and you want to make $30/hour, then you need to charge a minimum of $600.

$600 minus the $300 in materials you stated leaves $300 divided by 10 man-hours = $30/hour.

Assuming you have no other expenses (shop, insurance, taxes, etc)

IT REALLY IS IRRELEVANT WHAT OTHERS CHARGE, you need to figure out what YOU want to make on a piece. If it is taking you longer or more in materials, then adjust your price UP.

:)

Kerby...

4. imo $500 is a good price for your first couple then raise the price as you gain experience.

5. 24/7

24/7 New Member

, I did a grey fox this year for a guy and charged $450 for it standing on a simple base.like kirk said,in my area $450 to $5oo is reasonable if u do a good job to get some experience and go up as ur experience progresses. A more experienced friend of mine gets $600 with a simple base. Good luck

6. retiredfulltimer

retiredfulltimer New Member

Idaho
    Gray Ghost - A couple of things to keep in mind and keep you out of jail, don't forget to account for self employment tax at 15% AND sales tax. Most states charge sales tax on the completed price, and they will come knocking for it. Once you make over $400 you are required to file this on your IRS tax return. If you are doing a fox for $500 just stop, once you set a price it is hard to move up.

You prostitute yourself by discounting and hurt the industry in an way I can't even describe.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

I don't know what all went into your $300 "cost", so I'm going to assume that you figured everything. Material expense, overhead, taxes, etc. In addition to your wages(per hour) you need to make a profit on EVERYTHING you have invested in it. Given that and what some of the others above have said.......$750 is minimum!

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

I charge $800, but you should do as some say and charge depending on your hours, cost, and skill level.

9. tex4k

tex4k New Member

Gray ghost is on the money with the tax folks knocking on your door, I pay my sales taxes quarterly, during last hunting season I got busy and missed the last quarter of the year. About Feb. I get a visit from a nice lady from the state comptrollers office that had all the forms, paperwork, and the total for the fines. Always figure your taxes into your price equation.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I charge $650-$850 depending on what goes into it. I have about 6-8 hours max into a fox and about $200 in materials and other........ easy money!

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

12. 1tigger

1tigger New Member

Do a market survey on any taxidermist within say 30 to 50 miles and be comparable to them . Dont undercharge just to beat them in price because that will backfire on you . The other "successful " taxidermists in your market area already know what the area will bare . Keep in mind that your quality needs to be the same or better to get what a professional is already getting and worked hard to get as far as customer confidence , loyalty and price !

13. gray ghost

gray ghost New Member

I want to thank you all for the help!!!!!
    Now my next question is about the whole tax thing????? Were i went to taxidermy school they didnt talk about taxes!!!! How much money can we as taxidermist make befor we have to start paying in on them????

14. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

The reason they didn't talk about taxes, is because they were teaching taxidermy. Accounting is something best left to an accountant. Unless you now want to go to school for that, too. Your taxidermy school should have covered "business practices" in a bit more detail than they apparently did. I say that, because your original question, and now this one, seemed to indicate that they did not!

15. Matt

Matt New Member

I believe not all states require the sales tax in the taxidermy industry. Here in OH, we have to collect sales tax. It would be wise to contact your county auditor and they will have all the answers for you.

16. Many states also have a web page for their taxes. We also have a use tax in Mn that I found out from a couple people on here I have been overpaying on for a few years. Far as sales taxes go one little loophole is on repair work. In most states as long as the product from the repair is the same as the original product (say a rug or mount) then you only have to collect sales tax and the amount of materials you are charging the customer for and not the labor. Lots of odds and ins. I would suggest if your not married to see if you can find a good looking tax layer, LOL, especially if Obama gets another term!

17. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

I don't believe that gray ghost was asking about "sales tax".