1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's the best way to kill a snake for taxidermy purposes?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by RedWolf7, May 1, 2012.

1. RedWolf7

RedWolf7 New Member

I killed yet another big fat copperhead snake in my yard yesterday, and I'll admit I did not have mounting in mind. It's not only merely dead but really most sincerely dead. I chopped it in 3 pieces with a shovel. If I were to save the next one for taxidermy, what is the best way kill so that the hide can be mounted or used as a fashion accessory?

2. gade04

gade04 New Member

Hit it on top of the head with a boat paddle. LOL. A well placed .22LR.

3. aspenangler@hotmail.com

aspenangler@hotmail.com B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

freeze it

4. Bob Scott

Bob Scott New Member

As things are nowadays, I must suggest that you run away screaming like a little girl, quarantine the area, and call various representatives of local, state, and federal agencies.

But I would drown it at the end of a long stick. Then freeze it, they don't mind being handled once drowned.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I scoop them up with a pool net. Then detach the net from the handle into a deep freezer. Shut the lid and don't open for a day.

6. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

x3 or 4 on the freezing

7. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I always have to open it up and look. Had a huge Cottonmouth that I thought was dead. Scared the hell out of me when he moved as I touched him.

The only way is to freeze them.

8. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

If you can't bring yourself around to freezing them live, a shot to the back of the head with a .22 rat shot isn't too bad as long as it isn't point blank! :D You shoulda chopped it up one more time so it would fit in the garbage bag easier. ;D

9. BIGLAWE

BIGLAWE New Member

freeze em

10. Insult them until they lose the will to live.... or just drown them, but be careful, they can take some serious time under water

11. Thefishen1

Thefishen1 New Member

Believe it or not you take a stick and tap it on the head....I use a long stick, and I tap it pretty good. BECAREFUL freezing them, when they thaw it seems like they come back to life, and they can still bit when there dead.....