1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 5~ May 2012 Special Orca Edition!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, May 2, 2012.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 5~ May 2012 Edition!!!!!!!!

A Warm Welcome from A return from the first vacation in too many years to count! This is an exciting start of the month for me and for the month in fish pictures! This past month of April was the first time that the Month in fish pictures had over 10,000 views! Incredible! I absolutely want to commend all of you as there are some any original contributors and many new ones alike that all share in this great string that has been around from over 5 years! I just want to remind and assure folks that we all begin some where and work hard at being the best we can all be as taxidermists. It is and always has been a spot on the taxidermy.net where folks can and do come to show there work with out criticism and hard comments! So lets remember to always keep it that way. As the moderator of this section I do not get to involved with censorship not do I ever want too. So be respectful of all and remember we all have a long way to go and should be enjoying the processes!

What a truly outstanding Month in Fish pictures this past last month as I took some time during the day week to see all the great looking at some truly inspiring works of fish art!

We share in fish pictures to find a common place with friendliness and positive comments of motivation as a great place to start in upward in direction of inspiration in being a fish taxidermist! I wish all the best to folks competing in the up coming year and I do wish all the very best in the pursuits of good fish work!

I do hope you have the opportunity to be thankful for your gifts of great passion and talent as an artist! It is a blessing to me for our lives to be joined from time to time to share and learn from one another so thank you for your great taxidermy work and my your lives continue to be blessed with inspiration!!!!

I want to personally say thank you for letting me join you again each installment of Fish Pictures to share in your successes and accomplishments! I have seen first hand the great strides so many have made with beautiful fish work! Good for you and congratulations on your hard work!!!!

I want to also thank all of the great contributors who not only share their personal great talents and work but also rather give such positive inspiration to all of us!

From beginner's to the best in the world we all join in every month in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more then great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another. No egos just friendly folks who appreciate the efforts of others!

I want to start the month of May off with a great personal event that I was able to share with some personally who worked with me for this Anglers Artistry Project! I don’t often write about my work but rather praise and promote the work of others, as I believe in honoring the trade and the great artists that work in it! This time however I have to share with you the have you take the journey with me and get to be apart of one of the most incredible as well as monumental projects a kid from New Hampshire could have be blessed to create! As a museum Taxidermist, Sculptor and instructor of taxidermy sure it is cool to do up a 32’ Whale Shark, carve and create a 12.5 ‘ Great White Shark is very cool be able to put on a resume but this one is the biggest one to take the cake! I present the Anglers Artistry Orca Project! I was contacted to look at a bid for a large project in Tulalip Washington. I came up with a few sketches at first and filled out my paper work. The Project was for the Cabelas group and it was on the tribal reservation of the Tulalip Native American nation. I researched the tribe and came up with a cool concept. I re-illustrated a few time for the principals to meet the requirements of the scope of work and then it was off to make clay sculptures to show what could be carved and displayed. I looked long and hard for Orca Sculptures and found several and realized that this could be huge (no pun intended)!

Once I was awarded the contract I new there was a ton of work in front of me. I pondered over the thought what is the largest orca carving display in the world and there is 2 that I could find that were 18’ in length. So I proposed that a 18’ footer and a 24 footer be done so it can be said that these will be the new largest carvings of Orcas in the world! So it was approved!

If your going to do a project of this size in the time line it needed to be done you need folks who can get it done! When I think of get it done I think of none other then our great friend Terry Weick old “trash fish” himself! I called Terry and swore him to secrecy well as much as could be expected LOL! Terry is not only a dear and close friend but lets face it one of the best taxidermist who walks the earth all around! Smart, gifted and a machine when it comes to work it is no brainer!

I sent Terry sketches and share how we would look at the methodology to get this carved and completed. I began the long processes of getting it all together and getting it all in place! I graciously was give a secret place to work out in the beautiful mountainside of a western State call Nevada! No thanks would be enough nor could this happen the way it did with out my oldest taxidermy friend Mr. Kevin Libby! Thank you Kevin!

We had some help from sacral great folks and when the article comes out I will be sure to give the credit where it is due! But I want to share this project with my friends of the Taxidermy net!

Terry Weick and I worked hours and hours in to the morning most nights for weeks on end to create these beauties! The dedication and devotion of Terry’s hard work was a key to this success! Thank you Mr. Weick! There will be lots more on this project in a up coming article but I wanted to introduce it here on the T-net! Some may ask why orcas after all this is the month in fish pictures but then there was those 18 King Salmon too!

I hope a few moments of encouragement that every one starts somewhere and can accomplish great this with hard work and great passion for the art of fish taxidermy!

So here goes!

I hope you enjoy the Month! See you in June!!

So here we go and here is to a great May in fish pictures!!!! Enjoy!

You're Friend

Hope to see you soon!

My Best!

Rick Krane

If you need a big… whatever, here are tow guys who know big!

Thanks Todd S for the best photo ever!

[​IMG]

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure of this project.

Terry working on custom made teeth!

[​IMG]

Some grinding out a mouth shape!

[​IMG]

Terry in the grove!

[​IMG]

Messing around!

[​IMG]

Custom eyes look better here!

[​IMG]

Yeah they look very good!

[​IMG]

Some mouth work

[​IMG]

Terry working up the cool Orca jaw line!

[​IMG]

Some mouth finishing work!

[​IMG]

Well if your going have a cool nickname you might as well make it a big one!

[​IMG]

Back to work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can’t paint the whole thing with an Badger airbrush can you?

[​IMG]

One down one to go!

He really is super man!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some times we all need a rest! Well deserved one too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Move!

[​IMG]

Made it to Washington with a little ding that needed immediate attention! Trucking!!! Uggg!

[​IMG]

A minor repair on site! Why do I end up working in the air so much?

[​IMG]
    All ready to hang the big one!

[​IMG]

Up they go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hanging fish!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for indulging what I hope is some thing you all may be inspired by as well!

Be safe and have a great month!
    Here’s to a great Month in Fish Pictures!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 CHESTERFIELD ROAD
    Hinsdale NH 03451
    603-336-7296
    [email protected]
    www.anglersartistry.com

Timjo likes this.
  2. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Nice project Rick and amazing result!!! Thank's for sharing!!

3. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Very, Very cool. Thanks for sharing!!

4. Wow! Truly Amazing!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

5. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Looks amazing ! I would love to have been able to see it in real life.
    John

6. xtpoz

xtpoz New Member

Awesome job! Looks like allot of sanding!

7. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    VERY VERY NICE MR.CRANE!!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) :eek: :eek:Thanks for sharing. Ollie

8. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Re: Re: The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 5~ May 2012 Special Orca Edition!!!!!!!!

Amazing work! True work of art. Congrats to both of you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Very very nice job Rick!! That looks like a ton of work and a lot of fun!

10. Wow! Good job!!!

11. Jason S

Jason S New Member

That looks killer!!! :).. WoW!!

12. Rick and Terry, Congrats to you both my friends!A verry cool project,and simply stunning.The two of you make me shake my head and smile.Congatulations to two of the most talented and nicest guys in the business!!

13. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Very cool indeed! Great work!

14. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Super piece of work by two icons in this business. Congratulations on your achievement!! [​IMG]

15. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

That is quite an impressive project !Must be nice to have it done and take the check to the bank.

16. Terry Wieck, and now Rick Krane, YOUR MY HEROS!!!!!!

17. dougp

dougp Active Member

Congrats on a great piece of work Terry and Rick!! I don't think I would even attempt a project like that much less pull it off as well as you guys did!! ;D

DougP

18. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Oh it is inspiring allright! Amazing!
    You guys look like you're starring in an action movie in the first photo. lol!

19. Billw

Billw New Member

That is truly inspiring! And done by two of the best. It is great to know you both!
    All I can say is Wow!

20. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Awesome!