1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dang they Stink!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Daves Taxidermy, May 2, 2012.

1. Daves Taxidermy

Daves Taxidermy Dave the Taxidermist

???Just got some deer skulls back from a guy that has beetles. But they stink! call him up he said to leave them out in the sun and or paint them with clear. can somebody help?

2. muskrat man

muskrat man New Member

peroxide will kill the smell

3. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    I can help....don't use that guy anymore. Check ear canals for fat deposits and make sure horns are clean. Smell can stick to trash around bases. He should have already sealed them, if not that might help also. What did you pay for? Did your deal include degreasing and whiten or just beetle cleaned?

4. If they are "Finished" They've done something wrong. A cleaned skull should not stink. Either its not been thoroughly cleaned, degreased or the antlers weren't washed.

5. Re: Re: Dang they Stink!

Did he degrease them?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. Keyda81

Keyda81 I'd rather be weird than normal

I had a doe skull beetle cleaned recently. It came back smelling none to pleasant. I have it degreasing in a bucket of dawn and water right now. That was all I wanted him to do though was clean it, not degrease or whiten it. The skull was really clean, no meat of any kind left, but still smelly. If it wasn't degreased it's going to stink. :)

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

It sounds like he just cleaned them with beetles and sent it back. No washing, degreasing or anything else. If he says he did, he is either fibbing or he did a crappy job. How long did it take for him to return it to you? If it was within a month, I doubt anything else was done.

Do not spray seal this, or any type of sealer, until you find out. It sounds like it still needs to be completely degreased and then whitened. It should not stink. Are they really nice and white looking? No grease stains? If so, sounds like something was missed. As Coop said, try and see if you can pinpoint where the smell is coming from. You can try airing them out well for a week too. They might not be completely dry yet.

8. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Beetle cleaned skulls WILL stink!!

Beetle cleaned skulls that have been properly degreased WILL NOT smell. Period!!!