1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

blue ross made into jerky!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, May 2, 2012.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Gentlemen on ducks unlimited send me these pics.Said it was a young bird and probably full of pin feathers and decided not to mount it..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Beautiful bird.

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

*cries*

4. dablaw

dablaw Member

Cries hell....weeps...sobs...loading gun.....

5. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

No problem, he can always shoot a better one. ::)

6. wingman

wingman Active Member

IMO its not a Blue Phase Ross just a genetically/Petite small Blue. It has a very defined "grin" patch. I have a bill I cast off a similar bird that is about the same length as a mature Ross, But was just a small diminutive Blue. JMO

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The grin patches are often more developed on juveniles, and that is definitely a youngster. (Note the tail.)
    I don't think it's a snow/blue goose. It *might" be a hybrid or maybe a backcross, but I am more inclined to say that it's a baby blue phase Ross.
    I guess we'll never know for sure.

(Jerky!?! Aaaaarrrgh! Quelle horreur!)

8. wingman

wingman Active Member

The Hybrid thought crossed my mind...Possible. I don't think a Juvenile Blue would be plumed out like that, Foot color also suggest an adult. I went goose hunting in Canada several years back and my hunting party put the smack down on the Blue geese. I was shocked at the size variations in the birds from VERY small to extra large. I made cast of all the variations and even reproduced a Blue phase Ross off one of the smallest Blues we killed. Be what it may I still think its a Blue or a possible Hybrid especially looking at the bill in the second photo. It looks like it may have been killed in the Spring season with the new tail growing out and feather wear.

9. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I would say that it is a small blue snow,the Ross have a more stubby head and bills, I have two blue phase Ross geese in the freezer from last fall, both are fully mature and have the full blown greenish warts on the bills, very pretty birds!

10. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Ill Take one of those off yours hands,, ;)

11. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler New Member

Look at the upper mandible. Snow/Blues have a hooked line where the feathers meet the bill and Ross' bill is straight lined, like this one in the picture. Probably an early second year old Ross'. Blue Ross' also characteristically have a more blacker blue color on the body and an almost silver wing coloration. We've killed 5 of them over the years with three mounted in my collection and two given to friends for theirs.

12. Waterfowler

Waterfowler New Member

My vote is 2 yr old blue/Ross hybrid.... My guess would be hybrids are more common than true blue Ross but either way both possibilities I woulda still mounted it. Unless it was just shot beyond repair. A blue Ross still evades me... I've killed a hybrid and looked at no telling how many thousands or millions... And have yet to lay eyes on one dead or alive... Saw one flock of 10k on a green field and was funny to watch the snows and blues would hop each other to feed but the Ross's would hang off to the side and run around like chickens... Normally we see a pretty good mixture of blues but what stood out to me was this flock was 99% white and prolly 80% Ross geese. We were hunting the same field not two hundred yards from this flock and killed 43 Ross and one snow... Kinda weird day for us...

13. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Blues of any kind are rare on the Pacific flyway. Here in SoCal we get birds coming down the Colorado River as well as the Pacific.
    Only a handful of blues are taken here the Imperial and this season I recieved a mature blue ross. This is the 2nd one, the first was about 15 years ago. I took pictures of the mount ( pre-digital) and they came out crappy. I'll be sure to take good pics this time around.

14. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler New Member

Here's what I talking about concerning the shape of the upper mandible. This is the fifth one we have killed on the Ms. Flyway in the 20 years at my duck camp. Again notice how black the blue color is on the Ross' and how silvery the tertials look. We have killed several hybrids but the bill shape is the give-away. Hybrids aren't sterile and some think the the Blue Phase Ross' come from hybridization and the F3 or F4 generations will phenotypically look to be pure Ross' and only DNA could tell. Frank Todd one of the worlds most recognized authorities on waterfowl states that "These small dark-morph birds could represent hybrids with Blue Geese, but the weights, measurements and bill configuration of a few conform to pure Ross' Geese"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I'll take one of each thank you.