1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull Cleaning

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by mike98, May 2, 2012.

1. mike98

mike98 New Member

I was woundering if Skull cleaning was a good job in life? If you have the stuff of course and the knowledge to get started.

2. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Try it as a hobby and see how you like it. But don't count on making a career out of cleaning skulls just yet...

3. mike98

mike98 New Member

I'm not i'm just supposed to figure out what to do in life since i had to take Math 21[Special Math :p]

I'll try it with a mouse or something first!

4. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

And your first thought was skull cleaning? You may just be taxidermy potential after all ;D

5. mike98

mike98 New Member

Yeah it was. My first one[before i took the math] was to become an Entomologist and study bugs or something.

6. mike98

mike98 New Member

I'll admit that the first time i went on here i wasn't exactly mature. I've matured a lot since the noob years of my life. I won't be asking too many stupid questions, thats what the Advanced Search is for!

7. JRose

JRose New Member

If you don't mind flies, the smell of rotting flesh, brain, slime, chemicals, slightly annoyed neighbors, and if you have the patience to spend several hours gluing teeth and piecing together skulls.... then possibly, yes!

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

I would not do a mouse to start with. Too small and delicate. Try a road killed squirrel or woodchuck that doesn't have a squished head. That experience should be a good start. :)

9. JRose

JRose New Member

Coons area good starter too. Big enough to not fall apart or loose teeth. Pretty straight forward, and cheap!

10. Considering your age, it probably wouldn't hurt to run the idea past your parents or guardians.

My first, was a bullfrog I cobbed from the highschool garbage, (one of those biology dissection frogs)
    I cleaned it with a pocket knife, dried it in the sun, and glued it together with paste. It looked like a cluster-uh-mess!

But, I was hooked, and kept my eyes peeled for dead stuff, everywhere I walked or rode my bike.

Not much has changed, except now I drive a Chevy Avalanche, and I use paleo bond in stead of paste.

If you do decide to go into the hobby of skulls or skeletons, read up on previous posts to this forum (loads of proper ways to clean/whiten, ect.) buy yourself some gloves for protection & best of luck in your venture Mike!

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

You have an interesting forum set up. Please tell your members that you will not find dermestid beetles on "Grapes" .. ! You have to pick over dried out roadkill if you want to find dermestids for free to start a colony. You should also post that feeding them dog and cat food will bring mites which will kill all your beetles.

12. mike98

mike98 New Member

Thanks everyone for your feed-back.

Sea Wolf- That forum was just a general dermestid beetle forum for people who breed them for whatever. They aren't gonna be cleaning skulls anytime soon, execpt marksman who already does with his large Dermestes lardarius colony. The people on my forum just keep dermestids to clean things and to feed things.

13. mike98

mike98 New Member

I got some imput on my forum:

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

This is true. But you have a person posting that they are picking beetles off of grapes and they aren't sure if they are dermestids or not. You could tell him where to go and find dermestids as you will not find them eating grapes. The pictures he posted are positively not dermestids.

15. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

First thing about those "dermestids from grapes" is that they are NOT dermestidae. They are some genus of Scarabaeidae. Don't know fauna from different countries.

16. mike98

mike98 New Member

Thanks for the reply Votrax.

I have begun feeding my Lardarius some meat. I dont dry it out is this okay[its just lunch meat] my enclosure has a large hole in the top with screen.]

17. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Always trying to help. ;)

If your "lunch meat" is raw then it's ok for your Dermestes lardarius.
    I wouldn't even try to fed them with something fryied/roasted/grilled.

18. mike98

mike98 New Member

That would be dirty and gross. Not to mention slimey!

19. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

Hot dogs will work too. As for dirty, gross and slimey, wait till you put in a fresh skull and brains start to leak out before they eat it all. Brains helps the beetle population to explode as long as your other conditions are right for them. Small skulls with brains. Remember that. :) If you want to keep beetles to clean skulls, better get used to runny brains.

20. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Ohhh. I love the smell of roted brain in the morning! ;D