1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Striper Head?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by John T, May 2, 2012.

1. John T

John T Glad I called off work this day!!!

I have big striper to do. About 40lbs or so and I want to cast the orginal head. I've made quit a few trout head using alginate and smooth-cast. Seems like I would have to use a 5 gallon bucket and a ton of alginate...lol. What would be the best way with a fish this size?

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Most cost effective IMO would be to order an artificial head that's close from Caribou/Leach or LCR. Just a heads-up though if you do an LCR head, I believe you need to provide much of the mouth detail with LCR heads. Leach heads are nice...

3. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Hey Marty do you have a link for Caribou/Leach? I've never heard of them before.

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Why not use the original head,
    Just clean it real good degrease then seal and paint
    done several over 40 lbs, with no grease problems, fresh water ones that is.
    Carl

5. I think there is a company that carries his product?? I always order direct. His heads are great. He will even put some wicked sharp teeth in for a buck or two, depending on the size of the head

Bill Leach
    CARIBOU TAXIDERMY
    1 (208) 267-5331 (Fish heads)

6. ditto, just gotta cut the meat out of it and and the bones.

7. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

Thank you JUST FISH

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

In my opinion, you would be spending some money on Alginate to cast that head, but you would be time/money ahead by casting it, instead of using the real thing.

I know that it can be done, but WHY? When casts are so much better looking??

I think research or maybe true-fit carried Bills heads also. Not sure.

I know Mike Orthober has some in Mckenzie that I used once. It was very nice.

I would either purchase a cast head, or go ahead and cast it out of alginate man. But to each , their own.

Jimmy

9. For the money you will spend on alginate, buy some silicone with some ect fast cat. maybe some thi vex to thicken it. just use a tongue depressor to spread it around, then before removing the silicone from the fish, spread bondo on for the mother mold. 30 minutes you have a mold. another 30 and some bondo and resin you have a repro head off your fish.

10. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

Gary bruch did a breakthrough article on molding and casting 'issue 83 . Thats the way I learned how to do them.

If you want to see the difference of a real head compared to cast head go to my website. I have two stripers on there, one has the real head a 30+ pounder the other a 40 pounder has the cast head

11. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Right now Caribou doesn't have a lead that large although he's working on some. There are a couple larger ones in Mckenzie (arps) or there are some from Rinehart that are good.

12. dougp

dougp Active Member

Here's a 30 some pound striper with a head cast from alginate. I did the mold in 2 pieces by filling the mouth and letting that set up and then molding the entire head. That gives more time b4 the alginate sets. I've done stripers up to 45 lbs with this method and it works very well. I set up my head and then freeze b4 going ahead with the molding. The cold head slows the setting of the alginate.
    Good Luck....you should be OK

DougP

Attached Files:

13. Here is a 44 lb striper with the real head.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway all these are real heads, properly cleaned. Yes you can spend time and money molding and making heads or 30 minutes really cleaning the real head to where the degreaser can get in to it. Matter of fact skinned and cleaned a striper today, the fish when mounted will probably be dry in 48 hours.

14. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

Striped Bass only have 7 horizontal stripes or lines...3 above, and 3 below the lateral line.......between line spotting is always never evident unless the fish is under stress or caught

15. Are you absolutely positive they only have 7??? Are you sure there is not one any where that may have 8, other than in my reference collection!!!!

16. You know most of us paint over the same lines God gives the fish. So Marshy you are saying God is wrong. Duh!

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/memory-album/tj-5.htm

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/images/james.JPG

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/memory-album/ben-005.htm

Yes they do and sometimes the broken lines in between even show.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sounds like you guys are comparing the salt water striped bass with the landlocked version of the critter. The true saltwater striped bass only has 7 lines as Marshy pointed out. Many of the landlocked guys have diddling issues. Hybrid stripers have broken lines as well.

18. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

thank you George.....my comment was made for the anodromus species of Striped Bass......I also made comment that the inter line spotting only shows on bass under stress or being caught.....what does JC show.....caught bass being held.....duh

19. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

WELL,when the customers see them and remember them they are caught and being held.....There was a post not too long ago about how fish look underwater and how WE paint them.

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not buying into that either Brandon. Have you ever caught a marlin? Half the time when they're being drug aboard the boat, they turn a crimson red. How many crimson red marlins have you ever seen on a wall? A quality mounted fish is a stand alone specimen and few people would make an issue of a "missing line of spots".