1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hog mounts

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by taxidermy man, May 2, 2012.

1. taxidermy man

taxidermy man New Member

It was brought to my attention by a potential client that his former taxidermists would use the real jaw and jaw bone for his hog mounts. just dry presering bones and putting them in a form. By using this method, how would you get the original jaw set to fit in the form.???? Sometimes I have troulble making the fake jawset fit...... The real jawset is wider than the fake one. I know that most clients want the real tusks and i have been putting them in the fake jawsets but I had never heard you could use the real jawset it a bought form.

2. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

The trouble with the real tusk/wet is that they crack. It is not a question of if they crack in a question of when will they crack, it is bound to happen. I would inform them of that and try to persuade them to go with the artificial jaw set.

I was wondering the same thing as well on how to use the original tusk/wet.

3. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

You can do it with a jaw from a purebred or nearly so european hog. The jaw from a domestic hog will be to wide. I have done it by slipcasting a jaw set & replacing thr real teeth. It is a PITA job.

4. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

The actual teeth can be rotted out of the jaw, then placed into an artificial jaw set. Daniel is correct- they will crack. I have filled bear canines from the root end with epoxy and they still cracked--just small cracks, but the teeth just get really dry eventually and do what teeth do. If my customer was determined to have the actual tusks and whets I would put them into the artificial jaw set rather than try to fit a bunch of bone into the form.

5. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,50362.0.html