1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

airbrushing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by deerstuffer, May 3, 2012.

1. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

What do you all use as far as the paint goes? The only experience I have had with airbrushing is with water base paints. If I begin using water base paint to finish my deer, do I need to put something over it like a sealer or will the paint wipe off with a wet rag even after it dries if someone where to try and clean their mount with a damp cloth. Is there a better paint or better way? Thanks

2. Aaron H

Aaron H foxfiretaxidermy.com

I do almost all of my painting with water based paint. I top coat on gameheads with Satin Topcoat. This does seal and leaves a soft no-gloss finish. Airbrush paint is very durable and would not wipe off easily anyway if applied to clean skin surfaces but I like the look of the Satin and use it for that mostly.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I've tried both the water based and the laquer based and I prefer the laquer base. For me, seems easier to clean from airbrush and dries faster. But the clean up may be more of an "operator" issue, if you know what I mean.

4. Re: Re: airbrushing

On deer - I use oils w/ brush to finish eyes - see Cole's tutorial. (Less likely for me to screw up!) Nose - I use Lifetone Lacquers because that is what I use for fish.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine