1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

6' x 4' Tumbler finally done

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by passthru, May 6, 2012.

1. just finished my 6' DIA x 4' wide tumbler. always more the what you think. Want to thank those who Added some input that help me achieve this.

1 HP motor
    15:1 gearbox speed reducer
    lovejoy coupling
    20" cast iron double groove drive pulley
    two 5/8" v-belts 75" long

RPM just over 17.5

went with the 15:1 gear box because I wanted a big drive pulley which allowed me to achieve a longer arm which helps the tumbler turn easier especially with cob grit and a hide.

still cannot find any corn cob grit locally... may need to order on line...

here are some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Wood flour will handle most skins just fine. 8)

Dont tumble Mule deer, pronghorn, or thick skinned, short haired bears more than 30min.

Beware long haired, thin skined, wooly bears! Tumbling too long will leave you with a bear full of matted fur!

Dont tumble fur bearers full of holes very long. EVERY single hole will be surrounded by matted hair.

Tumblers are a great tool to have,but they can also be your worst nightmare!

3. I've never had a problem with matting. I comb a little diluted downy fabric softener in the hair before tumbling. I tumble a lot of thick long haired bears and wolves here in AK and I will let them run for a lot longer than 30 min. I use corn grit and never have tried sawdust so I don't know if that has anything to do with the matting. I had a friend send me around 60 coyotes and bobcats that he had tanned himself and used course sawdust to tumble in an old dryer. They were matted and twisted up. I misted them all with downy gave them a quick brush and tumbled them for a couple hours. 75% of them came out clean and tangle free.

4. hi i love the tumbler you made can you tell me what to buy and where to get it for a motor and gear box and pulley i made the drum now iam stuck thanks jerry beaverpond [email protected]

5. Good info from Oldshaver.

6. Am very interested in making one also are you interested in selling or shareing you plans. I would like to know how you built your drum. Email: [email protected]

7. Wildwoodtannery

Wildwoodtannery New Member

Can I possibly get a copy of your plans. I'm in the process of having someone build me one and yours looks great

[email protected]

8. Rich bell

Rich bell New Member

Do u have or know where I can get plans to build a tumber like your thx rich

9. Sam Cripps

Sam Cripps New Member

Wow!! This is awesome!!! I've been in the process of designing one myself. Would love to see some pics of the interior of it to see how you have it built. My email is [email protected] if you wouldn't mind firing me an email. Again, wow!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  10. I don’t have anymore pictures, since got rid of the tumbler.